How to install Hass.io into QNAP Virtualisation Station

Even more simple…

1. Download haos ova file place it on either your NAS or your local machine.
  2. In QNAP Virtualization Station, click the Import button, “Import VM”. Select where you downloaded to NAS or PC, and select the file.
  3. Options I selected later under ‘Advanced Settings’ were to use the VirtIo network and HDD drivers - may have worked with other options.

Embarrassingly simple.
Attaching USB drives devices to the VM also seems simple.

I’m running QTS 5.0.1.2194 on a x86 based NAS.
I had been running with using docker instances with QTS Container Station, but wanted a simpler setup (albeit a little less efficient) using a VM.and the Addon store.

2 Likes

Hi,
Please @mbartosik0 which version of Virtualization Station have you been using? Is it 4 beta? I’m just curious because I do not found the option to import .ova in the 3.6. Thanks

I want to help but what is this Virt. Stat. …? What is your version? How do I see my version? What happened? Why ask?

I migrated my HA from a separate small PC (N5105) to a QNAP VM (TS-464) with the same Process like you mentioned.

Connected my Sonoff Zigbee Dongle and all is there as if nothing has happened! Really “Embarrassingly simple” like you said.

I spend the VM 6GB of RAM and expanded the Diskimage to 256GB on my SSD, just because i have the ressources. After about 10hours now i couldn’t see any problems with this migration.

Just make sure you have disabled MariaDB (if installed) on your HA Install before making a full Backup. Then disconnect your old HA-Machine from the Network. Start the Migration process in converting the downloaded image from vmdk to img with Virtualisation Station and start installing the img. After a few seconds your vm is ready. Instead of adding a new user klick to restore from backup. Restoring is about several minutes and then reload the homeassistent.local page and log in with your credentials. Start mariaDB (again if installed in your old installation), set the ip of your Homeassistant to the same IP you used before with the old install. Also make sure you have connected your Zigbee Stick to the usb 2 port of your NAS and the usb port connected exclusively to your vm.

Thanks for sharing!

Virtualization Station 3 on QTS 5.01

OMG, thanks for much for this. I have been faffing around for the last two days trying different ways of getting this setup!

Hi there,
running VM homeassistant on QNAP. Have installed Nginx Proxy Manager on HA but having problems with SSL. Always getting following fault: Communication with the API failed, is NPM running correctly?
I am curious if I need forwart 443/80 to my new VM IP or to my Virtual Switch IP?
Other infos?
Greetings Heubi

Recently migrated my HA from RPI3 to QNAP VM too and am very happy with it.
It supports Matter add-on and is much faster than old RPI3

Only one issue found:
I cannot keep my edit under /etc for some system tunings. Everytime I reboot my HA, my edits lose. Any idea how to fix it?

This is kind of expected and I have no good answer.
But… what kind of tunings we are talking about? I’m just curious.

A few, one example:
/etc/zsh/zshrc
or /root/.zshrc