How to install NEWER Tasmota versions on the WT32-ETH01 a physical networked ESP32?

Is anyone else running one of these?

Its the WT32-ETH01, and for Home Assistant automations with Tasmota, it has been great.

However, I have run into a constant problem with these, I can only flash them according to this guide:

Don’t get me wrong, this guide is great, it works every time. The problem is I end up flashing Tasmota firmware version: 9.5.0 on the devices, and can never upgrade them. This method locks me into using that version. Every time I try any other version or method, the device fails to boot. All my other ESP32 and ESP8266 devices flash just fine.

Everything I have read suggests that the latest versions of Tasmota run well on these devices, but I cannot seem to find any other way of installing any other version of Tasmota that works other than the one in the guide above.

This device is listed as compatible in the Tasmota database, the enabling of the network card is documented on the Tasmota website (Its just a few console commands)…

But I cannot find any way to make any other version work. I see posts all over with people using these things like myself, and they seem to be running newer versions of Tasmota.

What am I missing?

Hi.

Have you already had success and been able to use a newer version?
I have the same problem. There was something until I found out.
Unfortunately I can’t get any further with the settings (no Lan) and the device is still lying unused in the cupboard :frowning:

(Translated text with google)

Best regards :slight_smile:

Sadly, not yet I am still looking.

My best guess is that we need to master compiling the Tasmota Source Code from scratch instead of using the binary, and specifying specific flags when compiling our custom binaries.

Hm.
What do the others do who are running it or do they use the old one?

You mean combine it yourself? :slight_smile:

Edit:
what is your HW version?
1.2 or 1.4

Yes, I think people are compiling their own version from the code:

Thats my best guess.

Hi @Mr_Flibble

All clear, it worked.
I finally managed it with VSC and Plattformio. A few tricks were necessary that I couldn’t find in any instructions anywhere.
The following settings were important:

#define USE_ETHERNET   // Add support for ethernet (+20k code)
#define USE_WT32_ETH01 // Add support for Wireless-Tag WT32-ETH01
#define ETH_TYPE 0 // [EthType] 0 = ETH_PHY_LAN8720
#define ETH_ADDRESS 1 // [EthAddress] 0 = PHY0 .. 31 = PHY31
#define ETH_CLKMODE 0 // [EthClockMode] 0 = ETH_CLOCK_GPIO0_IN

#ifdef MY_IP
#undef  WIFI_IP_ADDRESS
#define WIFI_IP_ADDRESS     0.0.0.0                // Set to 0.0.0.0 for using DHCP or enter a static IP address
#endif

Changed Tasmota to tasmota32 in

user_config_override.h

tas

Run it? Then add this entry in Tasmota Settings.

OK, that was all.

Netxt:

It was even easier with the following link. Really easy. → TasmoCompiler

A simple web GUI to compile Tasmota with your own settings

But
I tested ESPHome for fun. I think it’s better and easier. So I switched straight away and am now using this :slight_smile:

1 Like

OK.
only 2 links in a Post …

And a very easy way to connect the WT32 is this website:
https://tasmota.github.io/install/

Edit:
Platformio Info to eth.
https://docs.platformio.org/en/latest/boards/espressif32/wt32-eth01.html

Hi,

I wrote a procedure to get started with this wired device. No compilation or different bins required. Just an easy way. An USB 3V3 UART is required.
Hopefully that helps.

Best regards,
Erik

äm

Do you have a link to this? :slight_smile:

This is my post on this forum:

Thats strange, its how I normally flash my Tasmota devices - but for whatever reason this specific hardware won’t POST after flashing using this technique. I have about 6 of these little things, and have had to use the compiled version every time.