How to install using pip on hass.io

Hi
can someone please help me.

i have been using Alexa media player for a while, now i like to update to version, 1.0.x from 0.9.x
to be able to use multiple accounts. the problem is that the installation requires this command:
pip3 install --force git+https://gitlab.com/alandtse/alexapy.git

how do i install this on hass.io?

//regards

Looking at the code and the way it used to work in Hassio, it should likely work by copying the 3 files

into the config / custom components folder:

This is my folder, logically I do not have these components, but other custom ones. If the folder does not exist, you can create it.

Once installed reboot and it should pick up the custom components (this is what I see when I start-up):

1 Like

hi, thank for your reply, it doesn’t work to do like this, kind of annoying since it works withe the 0.9 version, i did manage to run the above script in a konsol and it stats it installs but im getting this on reboot:

Unable to install package alexapy==0.1.0: Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement alexapy==0.1.0 (from versions: 0.0.1, 0.0.2, 0.0.3, 0.0.4, 0.0.5) No matching distribution found for alexapy==0.1.0 You are using pip version 19.0.2, however version 19.0.3 is available. You should consider upgrading via the ‘pip install --upgrade pip’ command.

You can’t use pip in Hassio. You are running in a container.

In looking at what is published here :==> https://github.com/keatontaylor/custom_components/wiki/Configuration#download-python-files

You should manually download the files and copy them into the /config/custom_components directory

hi. got it working. very strange. doing the above didn’t work the first times. tested to ad another folder and put the files in that and then it workt.

//Regards

Great! Glad you got it working.
Pay attention to the messages when upgrading to 0.88 or higher. The structure of the custom component folder changes, so you might need to move and rename these files as I had to do for my life360 custom component.

Can you fill us in on exactly what you did? Some others are having the same issue. Thanks

5 Likes