How to integrate Ring Alarm using Learn Mode to join an existing Home Assistant Z-wave Network

Has anyone tried using Ring Alarm’s “Learn Mode” to add the Ring Alarm Hub and Ring devices to an existing Z-Wave network run by Home Assistant?

Do they show up in Home Assistant?

Do they work like other Zwave Devices?

@tsightler have you tried pairing the Ring Alarm Z-Wave to your existing Z-wave network?

I haven’t as I don’t have any other zwave devices.

1 Like

@chansearrington Did you figured it out or have any updates? I saw your post on the ring forums.

It sounds like their answer was that the ring base station can only be added as a secondary controller, but didn’t provide much more info past that. Does that mean any and all zwave devices must be paired with the HA zwave controller? Including ring branded devices? That means you get no functionality from the ring app?

Thanks in advance!

Anyone get this working with ZWave? Learn mode doesnt show up for me in the app, even after resetting.

Well, this is ironic timing because I also don’t have “Learn Mode” show up in the app like OP.

After doing some more looking, I saw a Reddit post in the ST sub that said you ONLY get the “Learn Mode” in the iOS app and NOT the Android app… if this is true then that is incredibly disappointing.

I don’t think you’re correct. OP created this thread in 2019, and since that time, Ring actually removed the “Learn Mode” option. I have the iOS app and the option is not there for me.

1 Like

I have a line open with Ring and here is there current position:

Good Afternoon! It was a pleasure speaking with you. I did some investigating with our Engineering team on the issue of **Learn Mode** not being available on the Ring app.

The Ring Base station technically does have the ability to be added as a secondary controller to other z-wave hubs (HomeAssistant, Fibaro, SmartThings, Hubitat, etc). It is, however, **not recommended** for the Ring Alarm system, largely because when we become the secondary controller, we are basically no longer a security system.

We can't guarantee we will reliably get the messages from any attached Ring devices, or the sound from the siren to be able to send emergency signals. Any sensors/keypads which are added to our system may not respond in the way they are intended. In addition, whether those devices can be added is up to your hub. We can't guarantee that your existing hub will use our devices the way we have them setup to be used in our system.

Thank you for your patience with this one. Let me know if I can answer any other questions.

I responded on June 26th and have not heard back

Hello,
Since the device has the ability I would like to use that ability. I understand the implications. 
[...]
This is my device that I have purchased. It supports the Zwave protocol and so it should be open for using. 
Please provide instructions on how to get the device into 'learn' mode. 
Thanks,

I suggest you also reach out and express your interest as well so they know their customers are actually interested in interoperability.

2 Likes

Thanks for the information! Also, @moto2000 good to know that they removed it from the iOS app as well.

I will definitely be reaching out to Ring to see if they can set my base station (now two since I purchased a Gen2 kit a few days ago) to “Learn Mode”.

One last thing - I have never heard anyone talk about this but I was perusing their website and apparently they make some (all?) of their product code open source and available to download.

I have another response from Ring support today.
I don’t have an IOS device to test their theroy.

I had already factory reset and tried without any sensors configured.

Subject: Re: Ring Alarm Advanced Technical Support

Hello .

I have been looking into this a little more for you. I have a possible solution you could try. After looking at the logs for your base station, it appears there were some contact sensors attached to your base at one point. Learn mode will not appear if any devices have even been connected to your base. So learn mode may appear if you factory reset your base station. To do this: hold down the reset button on the back of your device. It will start flashing red > then solid red > then it will flash orange > when you see it flashing orange, you can release the button. Wait until the power light turns back to green and the signal indicator is blinking red. Set your base station up from scratch again.

I believe you are using an Android to setup your base. Currently learn mode will not appear for Android devices. If you can get hold of an Apple device to download the Ring app on and try and setup the base from there, that could be a solution.

Like I mentioned before, we really do not advise it. We have no guarantee how the base station will perform under the conditions as a secondary controller, but I wanted to pass that information on to you as something you could try.

Ring Community Support
Visit the Ring Help Center for support articles
1 Like

Did that end up working for you?

No, and I have not heard back since on this. I even requested a response on 7/21 and got nothing back.

I have instead moved all my Ring sensors and keypad to my own Zwave network controlled by Home Assistant. This unfortunatly means they cannot be used with Ring unless I pair them back to my base station.

Instead of the base station, I am now using my keypad as the siren / door chime over Zwave.
I would love the ability to use my base station locally as a siren / door chime though, as well as the ability to have my Zwave network’s sensors show up in the Ring app.

For now, I am using the custom Ring-MQTT integration just for the base station.

Did you reach out to them?

Also here is a related Ring Community fourm post: Join the Ring Alarm to an existing ZWave network - Products / Ring Alarm - Ring Community