How to make my code more elegant

Hi all!

I’m piecing together a project (specifically, laundry status) a step at a time, starting with a “Who’s day is it?” input block (which was done successfully), then moving on to a way to automate setting it the value on that input block, as each person in the household as a specified day (herein lies the question, but I’ll lay out the rest of the plan first). I will eventually build vibration sensor modules with Raspbery Pi Zero’s to notify end of cycle on the washer and dryer, with code in place so that if the machines have not kicked off by a certain time of day, nag messages will be sent until the devices start.

I was able to set up a trigger for sunrise, on the condition of the weekday, with the action of changing the option to the appropriate person’s name. See code:

- alias: Kid 1's laundry day
  trigger:
    platform: sun
    event: sunrise
  condition:
  - condition: time
    weekday:
    - thu
  action:
    service: input_select.select_option
    entity_id: input_select.laundry_day
    data_template:
      option: 'Kid 1'

The problem lies in expanding this block of code to include everyone in the household. Looking through other examples of code, I found examples which may work. It would involve a single trigger, a condition: or statement, with a single entry for each day, and then an action block as above, but instead of option, it would use a block of code similar to this:

option: >
    {% if is_time('condition.time.weekday', 'mon') %}
      Kid 1
    {% if is_time('condition.time.weekday', 'tue') %}
      Kid 2
    {% else %}
    {% endif %}

Now; my example was made entirely of guesswork, based on someone else’s code; it didn’t come anywhere near working, and I had no idea where I should go with it. I created a separate automation alias for each individual in the household, but I feel like there should be a better way to do this. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!!