How to migrate from CC2531 to Sonoff ZBDongle-P

I’ve attached at cheap TI CC2531 USB-Stick as a coordinator into my HA host (RPi4) and was able to see it after reboot and to add some sensors using Zigbee.
Now i want to use a better stick “SONOFF Zigbee 3.0 USB Dongle P Stick” and wonder how to migrate to it?
First i additionally plugged the Sonoff into my HA also, rebootet but can’t find any trace of the new stick.
Next problem would be how to hand the devices over to the new stick, so i can pull the old one out?

I think there is a new feature recently added into HA that allows you to migrate your radio if you are using the ZHA integration.

I have not tried this so do not know how well it works however I did find this related post:

1 Like

Thank you, my first challenge to solve is to bring the SONOFF stick to live, as it is currently ignored by HA. HA is on the latest version (2022.10.5).
I’ve tried to “+ ADD INTEGRATION” => “Zigbee Home Automation” => “Zigbee Home Automation” but it tells me " Already configured. Only a single configuration possible." :frowning:
It seems that ZHA can only handle one coordinator?

The device is also not detected after plugin and reboot of HA. I’ve found many thread telling about giving it an expected name, so that HA autodiscover is getting it. When i plug the device into a PC i found it only as “Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge”, so it is not shown as Sonoff Zigbee but only as the USB-Chip on the stick.

I’m not an expert on this but I think you need to remove the new Sonoff dongle, replace the old CC2531, and then maybe do a reboot. Once you get the old CC2531 working again then you should be good to start the migration process.

I actually did my migration before this feature was available so I deleted the ZHA integration, removed the CC2531, rebooted, added the new Sonoff dongle, then added the ZHA integration to pickup the new dongle. Doing it this way I had to repair all my devices.

Ok, i started the “MIGRATE RADIO”. After some questions it came to a point where it tells to remove the old stick, which i did. But it does not showed up my stick, even the logs tell that is was successfully detected:

[812916.546802] usb 1-1.3: new full-speed USB device number 6 using xhci_hcd
[812916.652279] usb 1-1.3: New USB device found, idVendor=10c4, idProduct=ea60, bcdDevice= 1.00
[812916.652315] usb 1-1.3: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[812916.652332] usb 1-1.3: Product: Sonoff Zigbee 3.0 USB Dongle Plus
[812916.652347] usb 1-1.3: Manufacturer: Silicon Labs
[812916.652361] usb 1-1.3: SerialNumber: 0001
[812916.658373] cp210x 1-1.3:1.0: cp210x converter detected
[812916.663951] usb 1-1.3: cp210x converter now attached to ttyUSB0

(It also found it with the needed descriptor “Sonoff Zigbee 3.0 USB Dongle Plus” for auto-discovery, but for some reason that did not work)

So i stopped the migration at this point and rebootet HA. After that i select “Reconfigure” of the ZHA plugin and it continues and this time also shows my new Sonoff stick as available USB device.

I then choose “Restore an automatic backup”:
which finally succeed:

After another reboot all of my Zigbee devices are back again! :slight_smile:
Maybe there is only one drawback, that the device-label is still named like the old one “Zigbee Home Automation: TI CC2531 USB CDC, s/n: __0X00124B001CDD3B66 - Texas Instruments” which is a little bit annoying. Maybe this can be changed by one of the hidden YAML files somewhere?

Great to hear that you have made progress!

Did you know that you can rename the Integration’s name from the three dots menu as below?

1 Like

Thanks, that worked!