How to monitor servers in Home Assistant

Original post: https://smarthomepursuits.com/how-to-monitor-devices-in-home-assistant/

In this guide, I’m going to show you how to monitor Home Assistant entities or network devices, and then display the status in a beautiful Lovelace card.

Step 1: Add PING to Home Assistant

Before you can start monitoring devices and entities, you need to add the PING to Home Assistant. To do this, open File Editor and open your configuration.yaml file. For this example, I am going to be monitoring my router which has an IP address of 192.168.68.1.

First, check if you already have a binary_sensor: field in configuration.yaml. If you do, add the code below replacing it with your router’s IP address. The default number of packets sent is 5, and the default scan interval is 5 minutes, but I am changing those variables below. This will create a new binary sensor for you to start tracking.

- platform: ping
    host: 192.168.68.1
    name: Router
    count: 8
    scan_interval: 30

If you don’t have any binary sensors added to configuration.yaml yet, then the code to add would look like this:

binary_sensor:

If you are adding multiple devices, then it would look like this:

binary_sensor:
    host: 192.168.68.137
    name: Danny-Server
    host: 192.168.68.141
    name: Danny-Docker

You can add ANY devices with an IP here – phones, printers, smart TV’s , raspberry pi’s, cameras, etc. You will just need to know the IP address of each device, as hostname will not work. You should be able to grab the IP address from the device itself or by logging into your router.

Save the configuration and then reboot Home Assistant.

Step 2: Display Status in Lovelace

The next step is to display the status in a Lovelace card. Before you do that, you should figure out what your newly created binary sensors are called by going to Configuration > Entities > search for binary.sensor

Then, install the Uptime Card via HACS.

Once installed and reloaded, add a new card.

From here, you can either search for one of the binary sensors you just created or copy and paste my YAML below by clicking the Show Code Editor button. My code below only shows the status over the last hour but you can change this whatever you’d like.

type: custom:uptime-card
entity: binary_sensor.router
icon: mdi:raspberry-pi
hours_to_show: 1
status_adaptive_color: true
color:
  icon: grey
show:
  footer: false
alias: {}
bar: {}
update_interval: 30

The next step is pretty easy and highly customizable. You can make use of standard notifications or even actionable notifications (i.e. – display a button to “Open Portainer” so you can restart Docker, for example)

Create a new automation with the following values:

Triggers:

• Trigger Type: State
  • Entity: choose a binary sensor entity
  • To: off

Actions:

• Action Type: Call service
  • Service: notify.mobile_app_pixel_5_danny
  • Title: Danny-Docker went offline!
alias: Notify When Danny-Docker Goes Offline
description: ''
trigger:
  - platform: state
    entity_id: binary_sensor.danny_docker
    to: 'off'
condition: []
action:
  - service: notify.mobile_app_pixel_5_danny
    data:
      title: Danny-Docker went offline!
mode: single

For testing, I simply disabled the network adapter on my docker VM. Because I set my scan interval to 30 seconds, I will receive within 30 seconds if it comes online. If you add your phone, you can also just turn the wifi off as a quick test.

You can now create a 2nd automation to change from Off to On to be notified when your devices comes back online.

Here’s what your notification will now look like:

18 Likes

What a great tutorial. Thank you! :slight_smile:

hello this uptime card is great, how to get monitored servers from uptime kuma and link them to this card please ?
a simple tutorial for one sensor from uptime kuma would be great :slight_smile:

I’m also interested to know this, using uptime kuma with telegram notifications, for now, just using the webpage itself for setup then leaving it

Hi,

Really helpful thread. I was about to post a long comment to complaint that it is not working. While writing down my explanation I just realized that the ip address was wrong. After loosing hours and hours to figure out, why isn’t it working, even going as far as installing wireshark and pinging the host directly from HA terminal,.

One side question: Any idea on how to send ping to one of my machines that is connected through wifi? It doesn’t reply to ping, but it receives answer from other machines that have wired connection to the router like “linuxDaily”? As far as I was able to dig myself, the problem lies in the fact that the router treats wired and wireless networks separately, which i can confirm from the router’s UI.

Cheers

I can’t say that I’ve ever heard of a device not respond to a ping if it’s on the same network (unless it’s on VLAN, different subnet, firewall rule on the PC blocking ICMP, and a few other scenarios.) That’s being said, I can ping wifi devices without a problem. Does the other device have any ports you can monitor instead? I use Uptime Kuma in HA now and it’s allows you to monitor a lot more than just ping, so that might be another option for you

thanks, works like a charm :ok_hand:

Hi there, thank you for the great tutorial. I got the following warning after configuring Ping via YAML:

The Ping YAML configuration is being removed
This stops working in version 2024.6.0. Please address before upgrading.
Configuring Ping using YAML is being removed.
Your existing YAML configuration has been imported into the UI automatically.
Remove the ping configuration from your configuration.yaml file and restart Home Assistant to fix this issue.

In short, install the Ping integration and configure from the UI.