How to properly setup MQTT for Sonoff basic & s20 and configure qos2 + retain?

Hi, I tried to setup MQTT for a couple of Sonoff Basic wireless switches and S26 wireless power plugs (flashed with Tasmota 6.4.1) and configure qos2 + retain, but it doesn’t work as I had expected. For each Sonoff device I have created a sensor, like this:

- platform: mqtt
  name: "plug1"
  state_topic: "homeassistant/tele/plug1/STATE"
  value_template: "{{ value_json.POWER }}"
  command_topic: "homeassistant/cmnd/plug1/POWER"
  availability_topic: "homeassistant/tele/plug1/LWT"
  payload_on: "ON"
  payload_off: "OFF"
  state_on: "ON"
  state_off: "OFF"
  payload_available: "Online"
  payload_not_available: "Offline"
  optimistic: false
  qos: 2
  retain: true

When I click (switch ON or OFF) on this entity in the Lovelace front-end, it will switch ON or OFF the Sonoff device, but the switch indicator in the Lovelace interface will almost immediate move back. More than a minute later it will return to the correct position. Until than it is not possible to switch the Sonoff device again. So it works, but with a 5 minute delay!

I run HA (0.85) and MQTT (eclipse-mosquitto) in docker.

Here is the HA MQTT debug logging of some events of one of the Sonoff S26 plugs:

# initialization 
jan 14 06:33:14 DEBUG (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.mqtt] Received message on homeassistant/tele/plug1/LWT: b'Online'
jan 14 06:33:14 DEBUG (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.mqtt] Received message on homeassistant/tele/plug1/STATE: b'{"Time":"2019-01-14T06:31:23","Uptime":"0T12:31:28","Vcc":3.536,"SleepMode":"Dynamic","Sleep":50,"LoadAvg":19,"POWER":"ON","Wifi":{"AP":1,"SSId":"Bachstraat20","BSSId":"04:A1:51:52:BF:C0","Channel":6,"RSSI":62}}'
jan 14 06:33:14 DEBUG (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.mqtt] Received message on homeassistant/cmnd/plug1/POWER: b'ON'
jan 14 06:33:16 DEBUG (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.mqtt] Subscribing to homeassistant/tele/plug1/LWT
jan 14 06:33:16 DEBUG (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.mqtt] Subscribing to homeassistant/tele/plug1/STATE
jan 14 06:33:16 DEBUG (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.mqtt] Received message on homeassistant/tele/plug1/LWT: b'Online'
jan 14 06:33:16 DEBUG (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.mqtt] Received message on homeassistant/tele/plug1/STATE: b'{"Time":"2019-01-14T06:31:23","Uptime":"0T12:31:28","Vcc":3.536,"SleepMode":"Dynamic","Sleep":50,"LoadAvg":19,"POWER":"ON","Wifi":{"AP":1,"SSId":"Bachstraat20","BSSId":"04:A1:51:52:BF:C0","Channel":6,"RSSI":62}}'

# The Sonoff device reports it state. 
# The switch in the Lovelace interface shows ON.
jan 14 06:36:22 DEBUG (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.mqtt] Received message on homeassistant/tele/plug1/STATE: b'{"Time":"2019-01-14T06:36:23","Uptime":"0T12:36:28","Vcc":3.533,"SleepMode":"Dynamic","Sleep":50,"LoadAvg":19,"POWER":"ON","Wifi":{"AP":1,"SSId":"Bachstraat20","BSSId":"04:A1:51:52:BF:C0","Channel":6,"RSSI":64}}'

# After I moved the switch in the Lovelace interface to OFF
# Note: the switch in the interface moved back by it self to ON!
jan 14 06:36:57 DEBUG (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.mqtt] Transmitting message on homeassistant/cmnd/plug1/POWER: OFF
jan 14 06:36:57 DEBUG (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.mqtt] Received message on homeassistant/cmnd/plug1/POWER: b'OFF'
jan 14 06:36:57 DEBUG (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.mqtt] Received message on homeassistant/stat/plug1/RESULT: b'{"POWER":"OFF"}'
jan 14 06:36:57 DEBUG (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.mqtt] Received message on homeassistant/stat/plug1/POWER: b'OFF'

# The Sonoff device reports it state
# Now the switch in the Lovelace interface moves to OFF!
jan 14 06:41:22 DEBUG (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.mqtt] Received message on homeassistant/tele/plug1/STATE: b'{"Time":"2019-01-14T06:41:23","Uptime":"0T12:41:28","Vcc":3.534,"SleepMode":"Dynamic","Sleep":50,"LoadAvg":19,"POWER":"OFF","Wifi":{"AP":1,"SSId":"Bachstraat20","BSSId":"04:A1:51:52:BF:C0","Channel":6,"RSSI":62}}'

# After I moved the switch in the lovelace interface to ON
# Note: the switch in the Lovelace interface moved back by it self to OFF!
jan 14 06:41:44 DEBUG (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.mqtt] Transmitting message on homeassistant/cmnd/plug1/POWER: ON
jan 14 06:41:44 DEBUG (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.mqtt] Received message on homeassistant/cmnd/plug1/POWER: b'ON'
jan 14 06:41:44 DEBUG (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.mqtt] Received message on homeassistant/stat/plug1/RESULT: b'{"POWER":"ON"}'
jan 14 06:41:45 DEBUG (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.mqtt] Received message on homeassistant/stat/plug1/POWER: b'ON'
jan 14 06:46:22 DEBUG (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.mqtt] Received message on homeassistant/tele/plug1/STATE: b'{"Time":"2019-01-14T06:46:23","Uptime":"0T12:46:28","Vcc":3.532,"SleepMode":"Dynamic","Sleep":50,"LoadAvg":19,"POWER":"ON","Wifi":{"AP":1,"SSId":"Bachstraat20","BSSId":"04:A1:51:52:BF:C0","Channel":6,"RSSI":60}}'

# The Sonoff device reports it state. 
# Now the switch in the Lovelace interface moves to ON!
jan 14 06:51:23 DEBUG (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.mqtt] Received message on homeassistant/tele/plug1/STATE: b'{"Time":"2019-01-14T06:51:23","Uptime":"0T12:36:28","Vcc":3.533,"SleepMode":"Dynamic","Sleep":50,"LoadAvg":19,"POWER":"ON","Wifi":{"AP":1,"SSId":"Bachstraat20","BSSId":"04:A1:51:52:BF:C0","Channel":6,"RSSI":64}}'

And so on...

My Sonoff device config:

Here is my HA MQTT config:

mqtt:
    broker: 192.168.11.100
    discovery_prefix: homeassistant
    discovery: true
    username: !secret mqtt_username
    password: !secret mqtt_password

And my MQTT related automations:

automation:
###############################################################################
   - alias: "Power state on HA start-up"
     trigger:
       platform: homeassistant
       event: start
     action:
       - service: mqtt.publish
         data:
           topic: "homeassistant/cmnd/+/state"
           payload: "" 
   - alias: "Enable MQTT discovery for all devices"
     trigger:
     action:
         data:
           topic: "homeassistant/cmnd/+/SetOption19"
           payload: "1"
   - alias: "Sonoff state on HA start-up"
     trigger:
     action:
         data:
           topic: "homeassistant/cmnd/+/STATUS"
           payload: "2"

Tasmota my_user_config.h MQTT settings:

#define MQTT_STATUS_OFF        "OFF"             // [StateText1] Command or Status result when turned off (needs to be a string like "0" or "Off")
#define MQTT_STATUS_ON         "ON"              // [StateText2] Command or Status result when turned on (needs to be a string like "1" or "On")
#define MQTT_CMND_TOGGLE       "TOGGLE"          // [StateText3] Command to send when toggling (needs to be a string like "2" or "Toggle")
#define MQTT_CMND_HOLD         "HOLD"            // [StateText4] Command to send when button is kept down for over KEY_HOLD_TIME * 0.1 seconds (needs to be a string like "HOLD")

// -- MQTT topics ---------------------------------
  // Example "tasmota/bedroom/%topic%/%prefix%/" up to 80 characers
#define MQTT_FULLTOPIC         "homeassistant/%prefix%/%topic%/" // [FullTopic] Subscribe and Publish full topic name - Legacy topic

// %prefix% token options
#define SUB_PREFIX             "cmnd"            // [Prefix1] Sonoff devices subscribe to %prefix%/%topic% being SUB_PREFIX/MQTT_TOPIC and SUB_PREFIX/MQTT_GRPTOPIC
#define PUB_PREFIX             "stat"            // [Prefix2] Sonoff devices publish to %prefix%/%topic% being PUB_PREFIX/MQTT_TOPIC
#define PUB_PREFIX2            "tele"            // [Prefix3] Sonoff devices publish telemetry data to %prefix%/%topic% being PUB_PREFIX2/MQTT_TOPIC/UPTIME, POWER and TIME
                                                 //   May be named the same as PUB_PREFIX
// %topic% token options (also ButtonTopic and SwitchTopic)
#define MQTT_TOPIC             PROJECT           // [Topic] (unique) MQTT device topic, set to 'PROJECT "_%06X"' for unique topic including device MAC address
#define MQTT_GRPTOPIC          "sonoffs"         // [GroupTopic] MQTT Group topic
#define MQTT_BUTTON_TOPIC      "0"               // [ButtonTopic] MQTT button topic, "0" = same as MQTT_TOPIC, set to 'PROJECT "_BTN_%06X"' for unique topic including device MAC address
#define MQTT_SWITCH_TOPIC      "0"               // [SwitchTopic] MQTT button topic, "0" = same as MQTT_TOPIC, set to 'PROJECT "_SW_%06X"' for unique topic including device MAC address
#define MQTT_CLIENT_ID         "DVES_%06X"       // [MqttClient] Also fall back topic using Chip Id = last 6 characters of MAC address

// -- MQTT - Telemetry ----------------------------
#define TELE_PERIOD            300               // [TelePeriod] Telemetry (0 = disable, 10 - 3600 seconds)

// -- MQTT - Home Assistant Discovery -------------
#define HOME_ASSISTANT_DISCOVERY_ENABLE   1      // [SetOption19] Home Assistant Discovery (0 = Disable, 1 = Enable)

How can I properly setup a Sonoff device with qos2 and retain with this 5 minute delay?

Why are you setting up devices for tasmota when auto discovery does it for you?

According to this Tasmota doesn’t support qos 2

1 Like

Your switch configuration looks a bit complicated, this is what I use on my sonoff basics:

- platform: mqtt
    name: Bedroom Light
    state_topic: "stat/sonoff1/POWER1"  
    command_topic: "cmnd/sonoff1/POWER1"
    qos: 1
    payload_on: "ON"
    payload_off: "OFF"
    retain: false

What exactly do you mean? What shouldn’t I do?

Turn on discovery in home assistant mqtt setup.

Turn on discovery in tasmota

enjoy.

This that really the case with Tasmota 6.4.1?

Not quite sure what you mean. Should I turn it both on or off ? Or just one or the other?

I am aware that it can much simpler. However I want retain: true and qos: 2. Is that possible?

According to this:

qos 2 is not supported

You cam set retain true in the console:

PowerRetain 1

1 Like

Okay, That is clear. I will try that to night.

I’m guessing you haven’t read the instructions

I did read those pages and I have played around with the qos 0 and qos 1 examples.

I didn’t found any note in the README.md or in the Wiki about qos 2 is not supported. @nickrout: did you?

Thanks @cariboo for clarifying why qos2 is not supported by sharing mqtt qos setting · Issue #1061 · arendst/Tasmota · GitHub .

Unless someone has breaking news on support for qos 2, my question is answered :wink: