How to react to a light switch without wiring to a light?

Hi - just starting out with home automation with home assistant and currently planning what hardware I will be using - there is one thing I’m unsure about though.

I currently have 2-way switches for my kitchen lights - one is a dimmer in a 4-gang dimmer and the other is a SPST switch in a 3-gang light switch. I am planning to replace the 4-gang dimmer with a lightwave smart dimmer 4 Gang Dimmer Switch, 4 Way Dimmer Switch | Lightwave and that’s fine.

But for various reasons I won’t bore you with I need to keep the dumb 3-gang lightswitch the other end - I can’t use a lightwave 3-gang dimmer. I don’t believe you can wire a lightwave dimmer to work with a SPST lightswitch in a 2-way setup…so how can I make the dumb switch work to toggle the kitchen lights?

I have room in the backbox as well as a neutral. So my thought process so far has been - and I hope this makes sense - I could do with some device that is powered by 230v that when a connected switch is toggled just raises an event over some network. That way I could react to the event and send a command to the lightwave dimmer to toggle. I don’t think it matters whether this proposed device is zigbee or wifi? Happy to accomodate for both in my new setup.

But does any sort of device like this - one that wouldn’t actually be connected to any light, just a switch - exist?

Thanks in advance!

Ah would a philips hue wall switch module do it? Hue Philips Hue wall switch module | Philips Hue UK not 230v powered but I can live with that! I assume I could link this any given zigbee hub I end up buying and use as described above

I use the same setup to control an always on ceiling fan bulb.

I use a shelly switch that’s connected to two dumb 3 way switches (I think you call them 2 way switches over there :wink:). But there is nothing physically connected to the output of the shelly switch. The light bulb just reacts to the event of the shelly switch changing state via HA.

1 Like