How to recover from disaster with ease! (for newbies!)

Recently I lost my very sophisticated setup on a VM despite of having periodic snapshot. Simply the hassOS didn’t boot on on the VM machine anymore! Lesson learned, I am going to share my new system of back of with you which is super simple and yet can recover you even if you HA device get completely wiped and it uses the very tools available in HA front end. No need to to setup FTP or SAMBA!

All you have to do is download your snapshots after creating them to your pc and to be super safe you can upload the file to the cloud of your choice: click on the desired snapshot and click on download icon.

Wen disaster strikes and you can access your front end anymore and starting or restarting through SSH doesn’t work. All you have to do is:

1. Install a fresh instant of HA
  2. Install an add-on call configurator
  3. Before you start the add on make sure set limit to /config folder to false and click save
  4. start the add on
  5. using add-on file system go to your root folder ~/
  6. find the folder called backups and upload the snapshot from your computer
  7. go to snapshot page and click the refresh icon on the top right corner.
    9 your snapshot is ready for to be restored.

hope it helps

Or occasionally make a backup copy of the VM drive file on the host.

1 Like

Yeah unfortunately I didn’t do that I moved my whole setup to raspberry pi. Currently looking to back up my whole Ubuntu server periodically but don’t know a good place to start.

Works really nice. You can create a bootable thumb drive and image the system.

1 Like

I just checked https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree . From the page it only supports Windows ?

Its a imaging utility. It’ll image any drive. It runs on windows but can make a bootable free mini windows install on a thumbdrive. Handles ExFat fine.

This bit may be an issue.

Partition Schemes

When cloning a Windows disk, the only partitioning schemes that must be considered are GUID Partition Table (GPT) and Master Boot Record (MBR). When cloning a Linux disk, a third-partitioning scheme must also be considered; Logical Volume Manager (LVM). LVM is not support by Macrium Reflect, meaning that the Linux disk will either have to be GPT or MBR to be cloned.

See above. But this should also work. its liinux based
https://clonezilla.org/