How to rename Z-Wave nodes the official way?

Hi all,

Last year, I got my HassIO setup running by renaming the (same) Z-Wave smokedetectors to smokesensor001, smokesensor002,… using the the Z-Wave panel.

Example I found online:

Then I could call the values like this:

smokesensor001:
  name: Smoke Sensor 001
  entities:
    - zwave.smokesensor001
    - sensor.smokesensor001_temperature
    - sensor.smokesensor001_alarmstatus

Updating to HassIO v0.78.3 and renaming the devices like this, using the same code as above, doesn’t work anymore.

What is the new standard way to get my 5 smokedetectors working again? I have spend last couple of hours trying to find a solution :slight_smile:
Thanks!
Jelle

You do it from the front end now. Click on the entity in the front end, then click on the gear icon in the top right of the card that pops up

You should then be able to edit the friendly name and entity id (like your last image).

1 Like

Thanks for the answer,
Needed to change the names of the sensor-nodes as well.

Could you clarify what you mean by that statement?

You might have a device like a multisensor that has temperature, humidity, UV and movement sensors. As well as changing the name and ID of the zwave device (multisensor) you will also need to change the names and IDs of the individual sensors (temp, UV, etc…). This does not happen automatically when you change the parent device.

That’s what I was wondering if that’s what they meant.

the entity_registry concept strikes again. :frowning_face:

I’m thoroughly confused. Can you only rename a zwave entity ID with the UI? What about the customize: component? And for those using an ISY, how can you rename those entity_id values?

You can change the entity id and friendly name from the UI. Anything else (icon for example) use customize.

But can you change the entity_id with customize? What would that look like?

I doubt it. Never tried though. I use the Integrations UI.

I’m pretty sure that’s not possible.

I haven’t tried it yet, but I think you can by editing the zwave xml files. It looks like they go off of node ID and not the name. I added the same device after excluding it and it got a new node ID and name.

The gear icon that was used to change the name in the past is no longer there.

it should still be there. nothing has changed in the functionality for that that i’m aware of.

what have you done recently?

It is there. It is just buried rather deep. Go to:

Configuration-> Z-Wave

Under “Nodes”
Select the node you want to rename

Then

click “NODE INFORMATION”

at upper right corner, you will see an gear icon, click that

Default is in “Settings” tab

First line will be “Name Override”

That is where you type up the new name.

Thanks. I did manage to find it since this was posted a year ago. :grinning: Good reply though since it may help others.

It didn’t solve the problem completely.

I was hoping once I renamed the node, all the associated entities will rename it automatically.

It is not the case. In many ways, that kind of defeat the whole purchase of renaming the node at first place: to make the process of writing automation script easier, especially when you have more than one devices of identical manufacturer and model.

Any update how to rename node/device name?
Any best practice?