How to restore a backup

No idea as you have not told us about your system hardware. However…

You don’t need to restore a backup to roll back the OS to a previous version. Just use the CLI:

ha host update --version x.y.z

I assume there was a reason for you to run a pre release candidate?

I am running HAOS on RPi4 2Gb.
I can ping the server easily.
but opening the dashboard results in connection refused or takes too long to load dashboard

How do I access CLI while system is being ultra slow.
SSH from VScode is losing connection time and again

addon tab is missing in setting

OS Version:               Home Assistant OS 10.0.rc2
  Home Assistant Core:      2023.3.6

this is the version for the current trouble.

With an SD card or SSD?

Edit: actually it does not matter. Either way remove t/he media and connect it to a Linux PC. Or a Windows PC using DiskInternals Linux Reader. You can then find and copy the backup. I do not know exactly where it is but there are other posts about this on the forum if you search.

SSD, I tried using Kali linux in WSL but it didn’t worked.
let me the disk internals linux reader.
It is in under /backups folder isnt it?

what the exact command to restore to HAOS 9.5?

ha host update --version 9.5

this isn’t working throws a flag error.

as for the backup

ha os update --version 9.5

it isn’t in the documentation?

Common Tasks - Operating System - Home Assistant

No it isn’t. That’s where I got the host command from. I got the os command by using the CLI help file.

it should be, if it had been, I might have tried it on time.

There are links at the bottom of the documentation page to make suggestions or submit edits.

But IMO, if you are running pre-release candidates you should know these commands already.

I am unable to restore the backup. all addon are in this backup and now I can’t restore it.

Supervisor logs

23-03-29 22:56:34 ERROR (MainThread) [supervisor.backups.manager] Backup was made on supervisor version 2023.03.3, can't restore on 2023.03.2. Must update supervisor first.
23-03-29 22:56:47 ERROR (MainThread) [supervisor.backups.manager] Backup was made on supervisor version 2023.03.3, can't restore on 2023.03.2. Must update supervisor first.

and can’t update the supervisor

I fell idiotic here. But I am migraiton from HA docker on a raspberry pi to HA docker on a NUC. How do i actally restore the backup? The backup link is not visible on login page.

I did not spot the option to restore from Backup at the first prompt after re-installation.

How can I restore a downloaded backup when I have created a User/Pass already?

Settings → System → Backups → ⋮ icon top right → Upload Backup. Then reload using the three dots menu again. Then click your backup and select restore at the bottom of the pop-up card.

2 Likes

I am trying to restore a docker HA build but didn’t get any option to restore from backup before creating the account on first boot and I don’t see any dots in the backup page when logged in on the top right to allow me to load a backup? Does anyone have a suggestion on how to upload the backup?

There is no restore for container builds. You have to copy the files from within the backup to your system manually.

Deja Vu?
I just went through almost exactly the same scene… Look at this thread, particularly the last post where I summarized the solution.

Let me know if this helps.

1 Like

It did help, in that it forced me to review things.

(snip) Moved to new Installation thread (/snip)

Ping “homeassistant.local”. What IP do you get?

There is absolutely no “security” in obfuscating your local IP address. Almost everyone here has a 192.168.1.xxx address (or 10.xxx.xxx.xxx) and even if a hacker knew your Home Assistant local IP address, it would be meaningless to them. Your public IP address, how the rest of the internet sees you, is barely more risky because you are probably receiving your public IP address from a DHCP server and that could change at any time. And you do have a firewall running.

My router and a DOS/CMD nslookup and ping all return the same IP address. I wasn’t trying to hide it as much as show I knew the value, and it’s on my local network.