How to restore a backup

Great instructions @tom_l !

Can I just add another option for backups which I use which is the backup to DropBox:

A great addition. Go for it.

Edit: I had some other minor changes to make so I have also added the DropBox backup link.

1 Like

Since installation of 0.116.0 I got a lot of issues (mainly recorder) in the logs, decided to wait for an update, solutions seemed to be work in progress…
However after restarting my home-assistant install it was not reachable anymore. I could not get it to work again, so started with fresh install using whiskerz proxmox instruction, that worked fine.

Now let’s use the upload snapshot function… that results in:

(I get that message in Chrome, the new Edge does not report any issue).

:frowning:

How to proceed…?? I’ve tried restoring 116.0 and 115.x snapshots

edit: using 549mb sized snapshots

Next step I tried, completing the install of HA and Samba, copy back the backup. Then It complained:
[supervisor.snapshots.snapshot] Can't read snapshot tarfile /data/backup/e0ddd720.tar: "filename './snapshot.json' not found". It did execute the restore succesfully though.

12-10: I’ve checked the tar file, there is a snapshot.json in it and readable.

1 Like

For anyone else with this issue it should be fixed soon:

2 Likes

Can you post links to either/both of these procedures?
The best result to my searches is this thread…lol.

I have an sql error (searched that as well) that keeps reoccurring in my logs ever since I enabled the notification sensor in the android app. I don’t use MariaDB for historical purposes (use influxdb for that) so I would like to attempt a repair and if that fails just a fresh start. Any pointers would be appreciated.

1 Like

Thanks @tom_l
Sorry for not being clear in my initial reply. I’m not using the default db but MariaDB.
I found the solution in a github issue:

Switching the db url as follows resolved my issue.

db_url: mysql://db_user:db_pass@core-mariadb/homeassistant?charset= utf8mb4

Where do I put the snapshot file in order to locate it upon booting the new install?

Anywhere you can browse to on or from the machine you are using to connect to home assistant.

I never get that restoring from snapshot page after the dialog box closes when I hit restore. Then when I try going to the page again I get a “empty reply” from HA.

help!!

Attempting to restore a snapshot from HA on ubuntu to Pi4. Every time I attempt to restore the snapshot the notice “Fetch Failed” comes up. I have done this several times. separate Pi’s and separate sd cards. Does anyone have any ideas?

I am seeing the same issue here trying to restore on a Pi4.

Hi Tom, the snap-shipper add-on now also supports S3 storage.

May I add this to the guidelines on how to restore individual files from password protected snapshots?

1 Like

Please do.

I am trying to do a fresh install after 2021.2 seem trashed my setup… but after upload snapshot tar, I am no seeing the checkbox shows up to select restore. Is there bug?

I am on pi 4, 4GB, using hassio 5.10 32-bit. My snapshot is from 2021.1

Do you see the snapshot in HA - Supervisor -> snapshot? If not, then first restart HA. Once you see it, you should be able to click on the backup and select restore.

Since I ran into multiple issues on 2021.2, so I ended up downgrade to 2021.1.4.

After that I can upload the snapshot, then the selection shows up. But nothing seem to happen when I click “restore all”. There is no restore in progress box showing, not sure if there is action in the background, but there is no indication on the GUI.

So, I login from console, and saw the snapshot uploaded. I finished the restore from console.

I am running over wifi, using Chrome 88 on Fedora

I have the same problem here. The screen does not change into “Restore in progress”. When I do a refresh I get and error screen. In some cases I can select an other snapshot over and over again. I tried several versions from home assistant, several USB sticks and several snapshots. This drives me crazy. Please help.

Updated wording from “snapshot” to “backup”.