How to start GUI from CLI

I couldn’t acess my device list, because HA just returned an blank page. After 30 mins there was no change. I was able to perform a reboot via the GUI.
Now the GUI just shows the HA logo in the centre with no menus.
I have ssh’d into it and issued a ‘ha core restart’ command but I still cannot access the web GUI. I have noticed that it has auto updated to 2024.1.5 from 2024.1.3.
I am running Home Assistant OS on a Pi 4
OS Version: Home Assistant OS 11.4
Home Assistant Core: 2024.1.5

I am looking for advice on how to start the web GUI.

This is all I see:
HA,png

I’ve restored HA from the latest backup which was from 3am this morning by using:

• ha backup
  • ha backup restore [slug]

However even though it has restarted and I’ve performed a port scan on the it, all of the services appear to be up and running (as they were before the backup), I still have no GUI.

Hi Mike.

I guess you mean the webUI with a browser, right?
Do you have automations, do they still get executed?
Are you using a mobile app, does that still work?
Have you tried another browser/system or a private session?

Sorry for the delay, email notifications were off. I’ve turned them on so hopefully I will be quicker replying.

To answer your questions:
I mean any Home Assistant UI other than the CLI via ssh on any device.
I have no automations.
The system is obviously up and running because I can issue HA commands via CLI and also my Unifi add-on is running because I can access that GUI via it’s interface.
I have been Googling this issue and it has the same symptoms as an integration that has crapped itself. The issue is that the HA documentation is lacking in regards to accessing anything other than the Core or Supervisor.
Once I can work out how I can disable integrations one at a time via the CLI I should be able to get the HA GUI back up, though it could take an age if I have do this a few times because HA is appallingly slow even though my Pi cpu & memory usage is very low.

Are you using a SD card on your RPi?
Don’t you have a backup?

There is a way to reboot in safe mode but it seems this can only be issued from the UI.
If you have no automations, is it not easier to start from scratch?

You cannot get the GUI running on a monitor attached to the pi. (If that’s what you are after)

You can however access your logs.

On the web ui you do have (with just the logo) have you cleared your browser cache?

Yes I am using an SD card and had planned to migrate to an SSD, but no point in doing that until this is fixed.
Yes I have a backup and restored to a previous one that I knew had worked, but that didn’t fix the issue (as previously mentioned). If I go too far back, then how will that help, I then won’t know the cause and then could well be back to a borked system when whatever caused it the first time then happens again.
I’d rather not start from scratch as I have a lot of devices & entities which have needed manual tweaks as well as quite a large ‘configuration.yaml’ config to restore.
Also starting from scratch & as per restoring from a backup, I will most likely end up with a borked system because I’ll have no idea of the cause.

I upgraded Home Assistant Core to 2024.2.1 and I now have trhe FrontEnd GUI back up and available.

I don’t consider this a fix, just a work around to up and running.

1 Like

Good you got it solved!

Likely a caching issue, as I said.

It definitely was NOT a caching issue, I had rebooted HA & the clients several times, restored from several backups and the only way to get the FrontEnd back up and running was to update to the latest at the time of HA Core.