How to switch 3+ analog audio sources via HA?

Hey everyone,
we’ve got a 40-year-old receiver, which at the moment is “fed” via a separate manual/mechanical input switch with 5 input channels. I would like to replace it with one that at least has digital buttons, so that I can frankstein a few reed relays and an ESP to it and make the input selection available in HA. Did anyone try something like this and has a good recommendation? Either for the approach, or another one, or for a concrete device that I could use for this? I found a thread (Switching RCA audio with a relay) about switching between 2 sources via relay, but that concept doesn’t support more than 2 sources I think.
Cheers!

I’m the guy that made the ESP and relay switcher. I’m using it with just two inputs. But, in theory, you can use it for more. Just hook the input of the receiver into the common terminal of each relay. You would need two relays per input, one for left and one for right audio. Then hook the inputs into the NO or NC of the relays, again two relays per input. Write the ESP code so it ties the relays in pairs (left and right) and doesn’t allow more than 1 relay to be on at a time.

1 Like

Thats totally doable. Just connect the NO to the receivers input and the common terminal goes to the source´s output. Remember that you need 2 relays for each channel, depending on the relay you can just wire them in parallel. As long as you make sure that only one pair of relays is active at any time, i think you´ll be fine.
If you want to use ESPHome with it, represent each relay-pair as individual switch. Then either a physical button per input and internal automation to turn other switches off and turn the corresponding on or only one physical button and internal automation to cycle between them. With the custom component “Blueprint Mediaplayer” you can integrate it also easily into an home assistant media player entity, like I did with my old IR based amp.

1 Like