How to test Mosquitto MQTT Broker on Raspberry Pi from Window Platform

Hi, I’m new to Home Assistant and am having trouble testing my recently installed Mosquitto mqtt broker configuration installed on a Rasberry Pi 3+. I can successfully test it using the ‘Publish a packet’/‘Listen to a topic’ tools on the mqtt configuration display; however, when I try to use a mqtt client on my windows laptop (mqtt.fx 5.0.5) connected to the same WiFi LAN, the broker records the connection in the log, but it doesn’t indicate it receives any messages that I publish from mqtt.fx. Also, although the mqtt.fx client indicates it is connected to my Mosquitto broker on the Pi, it doesn’t update the Broker Status display. I don’t have any mqtt devise yet, so this is the only way I could think of to test if a client can communicate over the LAN to the broker. What am I missing?

I prefer mqtt explorer to mqtt.fx.

Sounds like you may have a firewall issue on your windows PC. Try temporarily disabling the firewall.

yup just install mqtt explorer and check it out.

Thank you soooo much! I installed MQTT Explorer and it worked first time! I can’t tell you how many hours I wasted on MQTT.fx… well, I admit I learned a lot trying to troubleshoot the problem before I decided to ask for help. Thanks again!

That did it. Thanks for the reply.!

Thanks Tom, disabled firewall and MQTT.fx still didn’t work. Installed MQTT Explorer and it worked like a champ.

I use both MQTTFx and MQTT Explorer since they have different strengths (at least to me) and MQTTFx works fine for me and has for years.

1 Like

I use them both too. Never had a problem with MQTT.fx