How to test the OZW Beta without fully switching over

You are insane renaming 60 devices! :slight_smile: I am gonna wait till they figure out some migration script. Proprs for going through it all.

That part did not take long. How much time for each device? Start at the top of the OpenZwave integration-page, click the device, find the node_id on the device page, look it up in the list of old device names and copy that. Edit, change the name, click “ok” a couple of times, and move on to the next device… maybe 5 seconds for each?
So with 60 devices, that is 5 minutes all in all.

Changing the name of the entities was a bit more work, as I did not have a full list of all the entity_ids that are actually in use in all the automations, scripts, template-sensors, lovelace ui etc. But all the major ones, like the lights and switches, motion, illumination, humidity and temperature sensors were pretty quick since they had been renamed already when renaming the device, and they all follow a common pattern when it comes to entity_ids.

That is why I said I guessed around 90% was up again after an hour or two. It’s not something I would do every day, but as a one time job, to get away from the extreme annoyance of restarting the zwave-network each time HA restarts, I think it was worth it.

1 Like

I setup the new OZW Beta and think it would like to use it full time now. I have a question about the network_key part. I only have 1 secured device on my network. It’s one of the First Alert smoke detectors. I looked at my old config (/.storage/core.config_entries):

"data": {
                    "network_key": null,
                    "usb_path": "/dev/ttyUSB0"
                }

Does that mean if I generate a key, as suggested in the ozw add-on documentation, that my secured device won’t transfer over? It hasn’t yet, but those are battery devices and I haven’t bothered to pull it down and do the wake up procedure. Thanks!

Do you have a key set in your configuration.yaml or options.xml file?

If no you have no secure nodes and setting a key will not break anything.

I have this in options.xml (key redacted), but the line is commented out, so I assume it isn’t applicable :

<!-- <Option name="NetworkKey" value="blahblah" /> -->

<!--

I do have 1 secure node. So If I have to re-associate, it’s not horrible…

If it is in fact secure somehow, yes you’d need to exclude and re-include the node into your network.

Those smoke detectors I hear are finicky you may need to do the battery trick a few times to get it to complete the inclusion. I recall someone having to pull the battery while holding the button then insert the battery until it beeps then release.

1 Like

Hello guys,
I just followed the guide (first part, I’m on HASSIO on Docker (Ubuntu Server as host)) but I stopped on the last part.
When I open the “OZW admin console” and try to connect to my serial, the console suddenly disconnects.
Below you can find the addon logs

I just checked on my host about the port 1006 but it’s actually in use

Thanks for your help

If you use ozw-admin from the “all in one” installation, you need to “network connect” not “serial connect”.
Just click in the bottom “Start”-button on the connection screen.

1 Like

Thanks Olen, it worked.

Passing from Z-Wave (legacy) to the new OZW, should I re-pairing all my nodes or the will be added once awaked? Sorry for the noobed question…

Moreover, why the interface doesn’t show Z-Wave Plus as a capability of my stick?

Thanks again

Moreover, why the interface doesn’t show Z-Wave Plus as a capability of my stick?

+1

All sleeping nodes will show up when they wake up.
When I switched over, I started a few days before, and set the wake up time to 300 or 600 seconds for all of them, and waited until they all had gotten the new config (except two that I missed). Ten I changed them back to whatever I wanted after the switchover…

Thanks again Olen, once at home I’ll check.

Any info on the zwave plus capability side?

Thanks

Ignore the missing ZW+ on the stick, it’s a display bug that’s getting worked on.

Ok, thanks fistof9

Hello guys, after awakened my devices they now show themself on ozw config page but ha always shows them unavailable…
Please don’t tell me I have to reconfigure all my zwave devices…

The “zwave.*” devices do not exist in the new integration.
Go to the Zwave (Beta) integration page to find your devices and the entity_ids.

1 Like

If you switched the wake up times back, do they show ‘Unavailable’ after rebooting the next time… and if ‘yes’, do you have to wait til they wake up again before they are available?

This is the only reason I haven’t switched to ozw yet… I’ve got many battery powered devices, and I absolutely can’t tolerate having them all be unavailable for hours after every reboot until they wake up on their own. What makes that not workable is that opening/closing some of my sensors doesn’t necessarily make them wake (so many automations will remain dead until hours later when a sensor hits it’s wake up time). I also can’t afford the time & batteries required to support very short wake periods (besides that would be a horrible workaround).

I think the zw integration has what they refer to as ‘data persistance’, which means after a reboot it reports whatever was the previous valid sensor state. OZW really needs this feature for me to move over. This makes those aeotec recessed door sensors work right after a reboot, etc.

OZW has caching, problem is initially you have to build that cache by waking up the sensors for the “interview” process, once the cache is built there’s no need to fiddle with the wake times.

Sorry guys but my integration page is empty…

What am I losing in?

Thanks

Looks like no MQTT server.