How to test the OZW Beta without fully switching over

Seriously!? I am running my home assistant in a docker and i dont want to run any mqtt server for zwave to function. With this beta i now need to run two new dockers for it to function. Using any mqtt broker is completly out of the question.

Isnt it two projects working on new zwave integration?

There are very good reasons to pull zwave out of HA, and run it separately. That ship sailed a long time ago whether you like it or not.
And when that happens, a way of communicating between the Zwave stack and HA needs to be established. MQTT is probably the best choice as a communications standard. If running a MQTT broker is out of the question, I am afraid your Zwave devices will stop working with HA when the old integration is deprecated and removed some time in the future.

Why are you allergic to mqtt?

3 Likes

Yes i will probably change to a different automation system then.

Its perfectly doable to use a wrapper instead of mqtt.

What is the other procject for zwave called? That didnt need any mqtt broker. Anyone have a link for it?

That’d be the zwave that’s already built into Home Assistant.
All the others have switched to using MQTT brokers to replace the wrapper.

Iam not so shure about that, there is two projects working on ozw 1.6 to work in ha. Currently this project takes the lead.

I hope that by the time we will see this beta replacing 1.4 there will be a good documentation, currently there is none.

Atleast cover docker install of mosquito mqtt. Should we use the standalone docker image of ozw? Is it needed to run the managment gui or will ha take care of the managment? What happens to the entity names in ha? What about group association, scene events, devices configurations?

Are there any plans on a smooth migration path, or will this be painfull?

There is an add-on for Home Assistant Supervised that provides MQTT, if you don’t have/want Home Assistant Supervised, you have to setup the MQTT docker container yourself, but there are 1000 of guides online on how to do that. I shared one here in my github repo as well.

Depends on what you need, I can recommend the All-In-One version, which includes VNC access (even through a web browser) to OZW to do some advanced config that may not yet be available in Home Assistant. In Home Assistant there are services to add/remove nodes, heal network, set device config parameters, which should cover most things already.
I shared a guide here on how I setup OZW All-in-One version in docker.

These should be stored on the Z-Wave network and these settings should be kept if you migrate to OZW instead of removing nodes from old Z-Wave integration and addint to OZW. Device config can be changed through a HA service as said above, the other things are probably only configurable through the OZW management interface.

You have to set them again, but a migration path is in the works and should be available soon as far as I read.

Network heal is Coming Soon™, but add_node, remove_node and set_config_parameters are in.

cgarwood has been busting his fingers getting a nice OZW control panel going, likely see the start of it in 0.115.

Works

Works

ozw.set_config_parameter service.

Technically any command you issue from the GUI can be issued via MQTT commands, but more so the GUI only has the basics right now. Adding associations needs to be done currently via MQTT, but again, that sweet control panel should have that functionality soon™.

Sounds pretty sweet, a good amount of work has been done i see, gratefull of that.

I hope to test soon this implementation, after reading on the topic i now see why mqtt was choosen, in a design perspective its probably the way to go.

Thank you all for the amazing work.

Mqtt server already up and running

Since you’re using the ozwd addon, do you also must have the mosquito addon installed as well?

I finally moved over (permanently), and after quite a bit of work over a few days, have a working system again. A few minor things don’t work for me yet including some Inovelli notification lights and my Nanomotes/Minimotes. I’m told the notification lights will be fixed in .115. I probably just need to play around with the remotes more, but I currently don’t see any events come across on a button press anymore.

Question: I’m currently running Home Assistant, Mosquitto, OZWD, etc. on a NUC. If I move the ozwd volume files to an RPi3 I have and put my Z wave stick in it, will it mostly just work aside from a few config changes? Are there any issues moving between platforms like that?

That should work fine, just copy the configuration directory over, and tweak the configuration to point to the proper /dev/by-id/... for the stick.

Nope that’s the beauty of docker :wink:

Figured as much. I’ve moved docker volumes between machines, but never from an x86/amd64 to an arm machine. Thanks.

1 Like

I usually store the mapped volumes on the NAS in case i need to move them around :wink:

Thanks for the info; i already decided to go through the OZW Beta since the ozwdaemon addon didn’t worked in my ubuntu/supervised install. So i used docker pull method and now it works perfectly.

Some noob questions tough since i am still not so confident with ubuntu and docker, i started docker ozwd instance with the docker run command in a terminal window; now there is a terminal window in my ubuntu server.

1. Do i need to run docker run command with ampersand (&) for background run and close the terminal window, or is there any other way to make it ie with a docker run parameter maybe? I do not want this terminal window to stay there after i run docker run.

2. Is this ‘allinone’ container also has a watchdog, so when i restart my ubuntu box, will ozwd run automatically?

Thanks for your patience…

You can do that or press CTRL + Z then type bg and hit Enter that will leave it running in the background for this instance.

No you’ll need to start it manually unless you have enabled the docker service to start at boot, and changed the restart configuration for the container. (see the docker-compose section)

1 Like

Did a test move yesterday for OZW from my NUC to an RPi3 and everything started right back up as expected.

• Shutdown OZWD
  • Change permissions to allow my local user to have access to everything.
  • Zip the entire mounted volume
  • Move zip to RPi3 with Docker installed and unzip to the OZW Docker volume location
  • Just in case, I did a full backup of my Z wave stick (LINK)
  • Put the stick in and go. No changes necessary in Home Assistant.
1 Like

I just switched to official addon “mqtt broker” from my old (now deprecated) hassio addon.
All my mqtt devices has been registered again but all of them have changed their friendly names and entity ID!!
All of them, both zigbee (by using zigbee2mqtt) and zwave (by ozw addon+integration)… :frowning:

How can I resolve this very awkward situation?

I’ve been on the older zwave stack for a couple years. It’s worked well for me, but of course like many others, it’s fun to try new things. I started a whole new HA instance this week, and have been moving my zwave stick between them. Just to save me work, I’d like to confirm a few things I’ve read.

• Renaming devices - Do that in Home assistant? Dont bother with renaming in the zwave control panel, right?

• Anyone here have schlage locks? I have 2 be469 and one ge599 lock. They were the only things that did not move over smoothly. The were secure nodes, so I thought my key might be off, but I also have another secure node, that seems to work just fine. Anyway, I feel like the sensors for the lock that I used to determine which code was used to unlock the door are missing, or not working. Anyway, is there anyone using this lock and able to tell which code slot was used for unlocking at the keypad. Or if the door was locked or unlocked manually?