How to truly stop auto discovery?

This must have been discussed all over, but I can find a real answer.
I need a bare system, and don’t want it to discover everything available on the network. I also don’t want the ever disturbing notification popping up.

Using:

discovery:
  ignore:
    - apple_tv
    - google_cast
    - philips_hue
    - ikea_tradfri
    - sonos

doesn’t work at all, and all are still discovered. I know the Ikea isn’t on the list of ignorable integrations, they others are though. It i on the ‘migrated service handlers list’, so should be taken care of, along with the others?

Taking out zeroconf: out of the configuration.yaml does a better job of stopping discovered integrations, but the system keeps bugging me about Sonos being new on the Network…

Why is this still so buggy? Or am I missing the obvious setting somewhere.
Thing is, I dont know what I am missing out on when disabling zeroconf: so not really sure i it the wise thing to do.

this is on 103.4 Hassio

So don’t put discovery: in your config?

Of course, that seems most obvious. Thing is these integration aren’t discovered by discovery:, as I didn’t even have that in the config. Ive only put it there to be able to set an ignore list.

zeroconf: apparently takes car of these integrations since talking that out made a big difference, and, as posted above, only left the Sonos to be discovered (so without discovery: and zeroconf: )

If you have default_config then disable that

Also try disabling ssdp if you have it on.

However I’ve had similar issues to you and I’ve found the best way to stop this behaviour is to put HA behind a Firewall and block access to devices.

I just noticed the same thing, I don’t have any zeroconf devices and probably never will, is there really no way to disable its broadcasts?

Hi there,

I am looking for the same goal to reduce as much as possible recurrent packets over the network.
I have quite a few “discoverable” devices and a reasonable wide network so while broadcasting there is a quite decent traffic.

This is an example of my network mDNS packets:

Every 5 mins there is a strong burst of 70-ish mDNS packets/sec which is not great specially if you have low bandwidth devices like IoT stuff in your network.

I disable everything but I have

default_config:

enabled.

Now I would like to disable

zeroconf:
sspd:

is there a way to do so without removing default_config: ?

or in case I remove default_config: what do I need to re-enable manually/explicitely to not lose all the rest of components it activates?

All items listed here shows what is loaded by default_config

they would need to be explicitly added to your config if you remove it(default_config:) from your configuration which at the moment is the only way to stop auto discovery of certain items

Disabling

zeroconf:
sspd:

Together with discovery feature will I lose any other functionality?
Will it affect already added integrations?

Have you been able to solve this issue ?
Even removing default_config and not adding discovery/zeroconf/sspd I can see home assistant flooding the network with mdns messages.

I can’t seem to disable it either. I’ve had my HA going for a few years now, “default_config:” is not in my configuration.yaml, neither is “zeroconf:” but it still loads. I tried adding it / taking it back out but no change.

seems to work for others…

1 Like

I solved for my case. Se my comment here: https://github.com/home-assistant/plugin-multicast/issues/1#issuecomment-767284859