How to update HA on docker installed on Qnap NAS?

I have just installed an instance of HA on my Qnap NAS via docker (Container Station), it works well (excepting some Gosund plugs and Pansonic Blu-rays), I am totally begginer on home automation and on Home Assistant. But my first question on this forum is: how may I update my instance of HA in an easy way, suited for my total noobness in IT and HA? Thanks very much!

Hello, usually if you install from Qnap repository your update comes with a system update or Qnap app store update. If a manual installation you need to find a newer package.
Same for my Asustor NAS. Right now my HA version is one below the actual one.

What you can try is to install Portainer iO from the QNAP store.
With this you might be able to mount a new image to your HA installation…

OR (what i do) → wait until they release the update on QNAP/Asustor internal Store.
hope this helps.
cheers A.

1 Like

Thanks for your kind answer. Indeed, I believe that your advice is the good one: I will wait till they release a new one. Best regards!

Morning,
in the meanwhile i did find a pretty convenient way to upgrade.
The app is called Portainer iO. You may find this on your QNAP store as well.
This handles as a nice web interface for your docker instance running on your NAS.

Here you will find the HA docker container. What you then need to do is

• Stop the Container
  • Open the container
  • Press Duplicate/Edit
  • Scroll down to Image
  • Paste this: homeassistant/home-assistant:latest
  • Scroll further down to Actions
  • Press deploy container

This is how i could update to the latest version yesterday.

Here are some screenshots:

2021-11-23_08-28-40
2021-11-23_08-28-52

btw. If you have more docker instances you can manager them from here as well.

good luck!
cheers Armin

2 Likes

Are you comfortable with an ssh terminal in QNAP? The easiest way to manage your containers is a combination of Portainer as @ArminF suggested, and docker-compose

It’s a little learning curve, but creating a docker-compose.yml file for your Home Assistant container lets you very easily stop, start and upgrade. And as mentioned by @ArminF, Portainer is also invaluable. Once I got going with Portainer and docker-compose, there was no looking back.

https://www.home-assistant.io/installation/linux#docker-compose

docker-compose.yml

version: '3'
services:
  homeassistant:
    container_name: homeassistant
    image: "ghcr.io/home-assistant/home-assistant:stable"
    volumes:
      - /PATH_TO_YOUR_CONFIG:/config
      - /etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro
    restart: unless-stopped
    privileged: true
    network_mode: host

cd to the folder containing the docker-compose.yml
To start the container: docker-compose up -d
To stop the container: docker-compose down
To update it: docker-compose pull

Understand it opened a door to very quickly and easily playing with more containers. I run about 35 container applications now. My Home Theatre container stack contains 17 containers defined in one docker-compose.yml file. To upgrade the whole stack of 17, I just do a quick docker-compose down/pull/up only once and everything is updated.