How to upgrade Home Assistant running as a VM on Synology

Hello,
I’m looking for guidance on how to update HA which is running as a VM under Virtual Machine Manager on a Synology DS920+
I installed HA using the “Alternative” install instructions:

I’m on version - Home Assistant 2022.12.6, Frontend 20221213.0 - latest
When I use Settings->System->Updates, it says “No updates available”

I’m wondering if that is correct or if I have some other setting incorrect.
I’d rather be on stable images than beta/bleeding edge ones.

Update #1:
I discovered that I may have 2 versions of HA running.
I found that using the URL of “MySynology:8123” I got a version which said no updates were available. (I also noticed that some cards were missing on the overview page).
However, when I used the URL of “homeassistant.local:8123” – that version did alert me to updates being available, I’m in the process of updating that one.
And I’ll look into if I mistakenly have 2 instances running on the NAS somehow.

Update#2
I found that I had a Docker Container version of HA running in addition to the VM.
I had switched to the VM approach as I felt it would make it easier to get the USB stick for Zigbee/Zwave working correctly but then failed to stop the container.

Thus, to answer my own question, with the VM approach to Home Assistant, it should give the user notifications of available updates. Those notifications even provide a button to let it perform the update.

It looks like that uses Docker, so you’ll need to:

1. Pull the latest stable image
  2. Re-create the container

I don’t use Synology, but Google suggests that you can use the Container Manager to update your container (on DSM 7)

Actually I am not using Docker on the Synology, Home Assistant is it’s on VM (the ova image from the Alternative installation page).

I have discovered additional information and will attempt to edit the original post.

I’m marking this as the solution. Please see the updates posted to the original post to find that I mistakenly had 2 instances of Home Assistant running. It was the Docker Container version which indicated no available updates.
When I used the interface of the VM based Home Assistant, it did indicate updates were available and I was able to upgrade.

1 Like