How to use new iOS app features?

I am curious about how to use location and push messages with new iOS app. Could not find the documentation for that. Just the IOS Documentation but that did not really help.

Push notifications you have to enable in the app. There’s a token that needs to be copied.
Setup notifications:

notify:
  - platform: ios
    name: ios
    target: 'that-token-code-from-the-app'

Now you can send notifications using notify.ios as service.

Sebastian

3 Likes

Oh, that’s good to know.
Currently everything works fine for me the way I set it up, but when I have some time, I’ll try removing that part from my notify:-config and see what happens :wink:

Sebastian

You will start having problems sooner or later with that configuration. I suggest you remove it ASAP as it is not a supported setup.

1 Like

Already did, thanks for the heads up :slight_smile:

Sebastian

Cool, i will try that. And how to use the new location stuff with the app?

I too have been stumped getting location working… doesn’t seem to show me on the map

I’m having an odd problem with location services and the new iphone app. It always shows me as “away” even when I go to the map and update my location and it shows my phone inside the circle of my home zone.

My wife’s phone is also connected but it is showing her location correctly. Interestingly her phone is showing her gps coordinates and her battery life, but mine is not.
I looked in the known_devices.yaml and didn’t see a difference between our devices. I’m assuming it is some setting in my phone that may be limiting what data it shares with HA.

Anyone else experiencing this or know of a possible solution?

I have added the ios: to the configuration file and everything except push notifications works fine.
When I enter or leave a zone I get no notification. Must I add something else than ios: to the config file for this to work?

Do You have any IOS_name_iphone in your services. If so try them.

yes I have my iPhone listed but nothing happens when I Call Service
I do not have the “Push Notifications” switch on my frontend like yours
I guess I have to enter the Push ID from the app somewhere?

I have these errors in my log.

17-04-19 19:51:30 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Invalid service data for notify.ios_jespersiphone: required key not provided @ data[‘message’]. Got None
17-04-19 19:52:45 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Invalid service data for notify.notify: required key not provided @ data[‘message’]. Got None
17-04-19 19:52:53 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Invalid service data for notify.ios_jespersiphone: required key not provided @ data[‘message’]. Got None
17-04-19 20:08:11 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Invalid service data for notify.ios_jespersiphone: required key not provided @ data[‘message’]. Got None

Are you putting any thing in the service data line?
what happens when yo uput this in there?
{
“message”: “The sun is {% if is_state(‘sun.sun’, ‘above_horizon’) %}up{% else %}down{% endif %}!”
}

Now I get the push notification :slight_smile:
I just thought that I would automatically get this every time I leave/enter a zone.

Have you turned them on? Maybe a silly question, but in the latest release there were added options in the app for push notifications for zones.

You´re right… I looked for this setting in the frontend but have found them in the app settings :slight_smile:
Thanks!!!

1 Like

I added ios: to my config file and I see it generate an ios.confg but no new entities appear for sensors or device tracking or anything.

What else needs to be added? I see comments about enabling ios in the zone config but then that later versions assume it is true anyway.

I also tried to get this working. I eventually got there. I think this did the trick: I added the following to configuration.yaml.

zone:
  name: Home
  latitude: YOUR_LATITUDE
  longitude: YOUR_LONGITUDE
  radius: 100

I’ve added

ios:

to my configuration.yaml file, but don’t get an ios.conf file and see this in the log:

17-04-25 21:50:06 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setting up ios
17-04-25 21:50:06 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Bus:Handling <Event platform_discovered[L]: platform=ios, discovered=, service=load_platform.sensor>
17-04-25 21:50:06 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Bus:Handling <Event component_loaded[L]: component=ios>
17-04-25 21:50:06 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.loader] Loaded notify from homeassistant.components.notify
17-04-25 21:50:06 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setting up notify
17-04-25 21:50:06 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.loader] Loaded sensor.ios from homeassistant.components.sensor.ios
17-04-25 21:50:06 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Bus:Handling <Event component_loaded[L]: component=notify>
17-04-25 21:50:06 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Bus:Handling <Event platform_discovered[L]: platform=ios, discovered=, service=load_platform.notify>
17-04-25 21:50:06 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.sensor] Setting up sensor.ios
17-04-25 21:50:06 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.loader] Loaded notify.ios from homeassistant.components.notify.ios
17-04-25 21:50:06 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.notify] Setting up notify.ios
17-04-25 21:50:06 ERROR (Thread-9) [homeassistant.components.notify.ios] The notify.ios platform was loaded but no devices exist! Please check the documentation at https://home-assistant.io/ecosystem/ios/notifications/ for more information
17-04-25 21:50:06 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.notify] Failed to initialize notification service ios

I had all my iDevices listed in known_devices.yaml, so I tried commenting those out and restarting but discovery just put them right back into known_devices.yaml and still no ios.conf was created. This is with HA 0.43.1 and v1.0.4 of the iOS app.