How to use new iOS app features?

Im not sure if you can use http://, when app asking for https:// adress by default. I had the same problem, after configuring secure connection (by LetsEncrypt) and DDNS, ios apps finally does connect to my Home Assistant - but from “outside” (by giving it https:// with my host name created by DDNS). To be honest i didnt tried to connect from “inside” anymore (by IP adress when im connected to my home network). I can make such test in about 5 hours, if you wish.

1 Like

Thanks @sigreg and @DDK

Actually managed to get it working last night… I didn’t do anything differently but it just started working!

Now to set up so it works from outside my network.

Cheers

Where you get the token from the app?

The app works fine but both
Enable location tracking
Enable notifications

once clicked they freeze the app.

Yeah, it’s in the settings, notification settings. But as was said - you don’t need that (anymore).
Can’t help with the freezing, though.
Try to put in the basic settings (url/password), hit save/done. Then go for the notification and location settings one at a time.

Sebastian

This makes it freeze.

Otherwise it works

Hi

Is it possible to make a notification with 2 buttons?

I would like to make a notfication that when my phones status goes from “Home” to “Away”, IF home is disarmed i get this notification:

“It looked like you left your home, want to turn on alarm?”

Then 2 buttons i can choose between “Arm home” “Arm Away”

Any ide?

1 Like

It’s been a while since I set this up for myself, but I believe I only had to add the second identifier under actions in the iOS push config, and then of course the corresponding automation for each option.

ios:
  push:
    categories:
      - name: Alarm
        identifier: 'ALARM'
        actions:
          - identifier: 'ARM_ALARM_STAY'
            title: 'Arm Alarm to Stay'
            authenticationRequired: yes
          - identifier: 'ARM_ALARM_AWAY'
            title: 'Arm Alarm to Away'
            authenticationRequired: yes
            destructive: yes
1 Like

I’ve got the Home Assistant Companion app installed on my iPhone and I am able to send push notifications to the device.

I would also like to be able to send push notifications to my son’s iPhone too - but not to give him access to the Home Assistant Control panel. Can I do this by signing in to Home Assistant Companion on his phone once - setting up a Device ID and then signing out? Or would I have to remain signed in on his device to be able to send the notifications to it?

You need to set your Privacy > Location Services for the HA app to Always. Don’t worry it barely uses any battery. Without this the app will freeze for some reason…

There is no iOS.conf file in my config folder - however there is a hidden file named .ios.conf
What is the correct way to unhide this file - and is it safe to edit it. My iPhone is defined inside it multiple times with different names and device ID’s and I think this is what’s causing multiple battery badges to display in my main interface.

Is this the correct way to fix the problem - or is there something different I should be doing?

I have the same issue as @tenly - a .ios.conf, rather than an ios.conf

In addition, and contrary to what is implied in the documentation, I do not have any pre-installed sounds referenced in .ios.conf. Are these actually pre-instelled somewhere?

In addition, on my iOS app is reporting that the iOS component is not loaded (even though I can receive notifications on my phone).

Any ideas why this might be? (Address and names redacted)

Put your password in and hit save, you should see ticks instead of crosses.

1 Like

I seem to always have the 3 ticks and I have a message:

If I click under Home at the top where it says need password it prompts me to enter the password again.

I am not getting a status in Hass (or to be more precise the status is always away)
On my iPad, I don’t get the Home and enter password prompt.

The GUI of HA works perfectly on both devices.

Just an idea, but I had multiple iPhones which didn’t have a name specified as “Brian’s iPhone” in the phone itself so in my first days setting up HA I actually spent a lot of time fighting with the app location but it turned out there was more than one device called iPhone so I was messing with the wrong one… I ended up looking in known_devices.yaml where it listed the MAC ID of the device and renamed them there and that cleared up the confusion… I know that may not be your issue but just an idea…

1 Like

Actually, when I first set it up it was taking the iOS name and it was displaying Home.

I changed the name of the phone/iPad in Setings>General>About to:

David’s-iPad.

HA App shows: Device ID: David’s-iPad

I deleted the ,ios.conf

I only have ios: in configuration.yaml

It didn’t recreate the known_devices.yaml itself so I resurrected an old one that has:

davids_ipad:
hide_if_away: false
icon:
mac: redacted
name: david’s-ipad
picture:
track: true
vendor:

I wonder if I need davids_ipad to be changed to the iOS name David’s-iPad??

I was expecting it to recreate known_devices itself…

Interestingly, in the frontend it’s saying david’s-ipad AWAY
and David’s-iPad Battery State and another one the same with Battery Level - so it’s using the iOS name for the battery state and level but the known_devices ID for the AWAY…

Is it permissible to have my YAML file read:

David's-iPad:
  hide_if_away: false
  icon:
  mac: **redacted**
  name: David's-iPad
  picture:
  track: true
  vendor:

Same issue with iPhone…

I ended up deleting my ios.conf and all references to iOS devices in my known_devices.yaml and restarted HA then they were all together at the bottom… did you push the location in the iOS app as well? I have 3 iOS devices using the HA app 2 seem to work very well but for some reason my wife’s phone still occasionally gets stuck away like her GPS just isn’t as accurate as it should be…

Did you check the size of your zones? And look at them on the map component? My wife’s phone will often show just a block away from my home zone

I changed it so in all places it’s consistent and the frontend is consistent now as well. But they all are showing away and I get the password message in iOS configuration.

might delete .ios.conf again and restart

Are you using SSL?

I see you are from your screenshot did you try without the port number? You should no longer need the 8123 I believe it should automatically go 443 just by having the httpS then 443 should be forwarded to 8123 in your router

And if you haven’t setup SSL get rid of the s in http