HowTo get Motion detection event from zwavejs from Express Controls EZMotion Express

Hi,

I have been trying to get this device working in zwavejs for weeks and been ‘googling’ a lot but i haven’t found a solution yet.

I have a couple of Express Controls EZMotion Express Wireless 3-in-1 Sensors.
Those are recognised in zwavejs as:
https://devices.zwave-js.io/?jumpTo=0x001e:0x0002:0x0001:1.11

Previously when i was still using openzwave, in order to get a motion detection event in HA i had to use the following yaml in my automation:

trigger:
     platform: event
     event_type: zwave.node_event
     event_data:
       entity_id: zwave.mydevice
       basic_level: 255

How achieve such a trigger in zwavejs?

Help is much appreciated,

br,
Raymond

try listening for either “zwave_js_value_notification” or “zwave_js_notification” for the event type.

you’ll still have to work out the parameters of the event to trigger on based on the data sent by your device.

Do you have a binary sensor that appears to be non-functional? Do you have a “basic” sensor that is disabled?

I tried that but nothing is showing.
I tried to look at it in: developer tools → events.
That’s the right place isn’t it?

Thanks for helping,
br,
Raymond

Yes i have a basic sensor thats disabled.
I enabled it but it shows the value ‘0’ and never changes.

Thanks for helping,

br,
Raymond

Yes, that’s the right place if they were coming in.

but as freshcoast said maybe the device doesn’t need events to work in zwavejs and actually has sensors now.

@freshcoast,

Is there anything I can do to make that sensor functional?
How exactly do I enable the sensor the right way?
(I think I might not have done it properly)

Thanks, br,
Raymond

I’m having the same problem, did you find a solution ?

I have 2 of these devices. It seems that whenerver zwave-js starts, it gets the configuration wrong. I have to re-interview the node every time I restart zwave-js-ui. Once it has been re-interviewed, you should see a ‘’[7-32-0-currentValue] Current value’ under Basic V1, which is 255 for motion or 0 for no motion. Then you have to go into Home Assistant and enable the ‘basic’ control, as it is hidden by default. You should then get a number._basic entity. You can then turn this into a binary sensor with

binary_sensor:
    <device name>_sensor:
      device_class: motion
      value_template: {{ is_state('number.<device name>_basic', '255.0') }}

Hi, Just starting with HA and have a number of these devices that are doing almost what this post states. ZWave JS UI now seems to remembering the Current Value under Basic v1. However, the ‘binary _sensor’ entity still doesn’t work. I notice the template is now not apparently receommended as it’s a legacy one. What was yr fix after? Could you advise a template which updates the ‘binary _sensor’ from the Current Value under Basic v1?