HowTo install & configure Windows 10 in a VM on Proxmox VE 7.1 - step-by-step and side-by-side with HA

The definitive step-by-step setup guide of Windows 10 Pro in a Proxmox VE 7.1 VM. You might find this guide useful even if you are an experienced Windows user.

Especially useful to those who want to run HA and Windows side-by-side. On Monday the Windows 11 guide will also be posted. Please note this is not running HA in Windows. This is running both HA and Windows 10 side-by-side in a virtualised environment, more powerful than what Windows offers.

There are plenty of reasons why you might want to run HA side-by-side with Windows, which I will cover in future posts.

HowTo install & configure Windows 10 in a VM on Proxmox VE 7.1 - step-by-step

HowTo install Home Assistant (HA) OS in ProxMox VE (PVE) 7.1

2 Likes

Thank you for this post. You describe exactly what I am trying to do, perhaps you can provide some additional information:

1. Currently running HAOS on a virtualbox VM on a Win 10 (Intel NUC i7)
  2. Only using Windows to run Blueiris, also have Deepstack running.
  3. Virtualbox is quirky, and would like to migrate to Proxmox, then run Win10 and HAOS side by side
  4. What steps do you suggest for backup of both HA (assume snapshot) and BI?
  5. Are there benefits to what I am describing or should I just leave things as is?

Thanks so much.

Running HAOS and Windows under Proxmox VE (PVE) is orders of magnitude more reliable, more performant and more powerful in every aspect compared to VirtualBox. Plus you can consider running other things under PVE (e.g. Pi-hole, Traefik-proxy, etc).

You have an i7 and I hope 16GB or more RAM. Not certain how many cores your i7 supports and how heavy your BlueIris workload is, but if running things under VirtualBox works then I am confident will also run under PVE even better.

If I was in your shoes I would consider migrating ASAP. Not certain how much work is involved to start HAOS afresh; you might consider this change as a new starting point instead of carrying the baggage and mistakes with you in a new installation.

If you have add-ons or HACS integrations in HAOS you could also consider migrating some or whatever you can as container workloads (LXCs) under PVE. You could do this as you start or over time migrating add-ons from HAOS to PVE.

Hope the above helps and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Thanks. I am up and running and already seeing resource benefits and speed, was easy migrating. The only reason I am using Win10 is for Blue Iris. I’d like to run Deconz and other containerized services on LXC’s but don’t have experience in how to set these up. Any guides or directions would be appreciated.

Happy New Year and Merry Christmas to you as well!

Hope the below gets you started.

Hi, I’m trying to follow your guide installing Windows10 Pro, and i get stuck at “where do you want to install windows” … tried to reboot etc. etc.( tried to change drive type etc. ) , And im now sure that there’s nothing wrong with my install media … just tried to install windows on another Disk ( not in Proxmox )

hardware
options

Sorry just seen your message. Will respond as soon as I had time to check your message.

Most likely a disk controller issue. Try to set your system for SATA. See an example below.