HRT4-ZW Wireless Digital Thermostat + Ssr 302 2-zone thermostat and boiler z-wave

Hi,
I’m new to this so please bear with me :slight_smile:
I have a z-wave boiler controller: “SSR 302 2-zone Thermostat Receiver by Horstmann (Secure Meters)”
And a thermostat: " Horstmann HRT4-ZW Wireless Digital Thermostat"

I’m trying to get my head around how to make this work…

1. How to properly pair the devices to show up in Home assistance.
  2. How to make it so that the thermostat sends and on-off command to the boiler controller?

The show up on z-wave integration panel, but I’m not sure where to go from here…

Any guidance would be much appreciated :slight_smile:

I’ve a similar setup. I followed this to configure the direct association between the transmitter and the receiver:

In Home Assistant UI I added a Thermostat Card: https://www.home-assistant.io/lovelace/thermostat/
As Entity to control, I used my climate.horstmann_secure_meters_hrt4_zw_thermostat_transmitter_heating_1

There was a problem/bug with this Z-Wave product integration, as the transmitter HRT4-ZW wasn’t detected as a climate option so you couldn’t associate it to a Thermostat Card. Workarounds to fix this issue are explained in:

With this setup I can easily control the temperature setpoint in HA using the Thermostat card.

I’ve a minor limitation I’m trying to fix: I’d like to see the actual state (on/off) of the ASR module. My goal is to have a summarization of minutes per day in which the heating was actually on. I believe this is due to the fact I’ve used association 2 “Binary Switch Set”, so the transmitter send a direct on/off command to the receiver and HA is not receiving it. I need to investigate it further.

@xerofule
Did you find a solution for the actual state of the ASR?
I am able to set the state from HA, but if you do it from the device it isn’t reported back.

I got it working by polling the ASR-ZW. I know pollig is not the best way, but it works.

To fix the HRT4-ZW being seen as a thermostat I used the solution on the Github page.
That is changing the zwave device type in the xml file.
First, stop the Z-Wave network, then change ‘specific=0’ to ‘specific=4’.
Then I did a restart of HA completely and a node refresh afterwords.

@MarcellusWallace do you have direct association between both devices? I have it but the ASR-ZW State is always Off, however it’s actually heating the house

Hi,

Yes, I have a direct connection between both devices.
But to get the status of the ASR-ZW I added a polling interval of 5 to the configuration.

Now I can see the status in Lovelace. It is not instant because of the polling, but it works.