Hue bridge or CC2531/Zigbee2MQTT

I’m currently running Hass.io on an RPi, and have a Vera Z-wave controller with a few z-wave switches. It’s working okay but I also have a collection of Wemo lights and I’m looking to add more Zigbee devices. My question basically is can a Hue bridge be made to communicate with a variety of Zigbee devices (not just Hue), or am I better off going with a CC2531.

Hue mostly working with the hue products and a few other brand lights can work with it. If you are looking to add other sensors, switches etc, like the xiaomi sensors for example, you would be best going with a CC2531 and Zigbee2mqtt. That’s what I’ve done. I’ve left hue for all the hue lights, and got a CC2531 running Z2M for all my sensors.

I’ll also have to agree with zigbee2mqtt, gives you a much bigger versatility. I’m currently using it with 20+ devices, everything from Ikea stuff to Xiaomi. Works perfectly!

Same here. Hue bridge for Hue devices and CC2531+ zigbee2mqtt for all the rest (Xiaomi, Osram, …).

Okay, so CC2531 doesn’t do the Hue stuff? I still need the bridge for that?

No, you don’t. My zigbee network (some Hue bulbs, some Hue motion sensors, some other stuff not by Hue) is controlled by a CC2531 and zigbee2mqtt only and there are no problems so far.

My intention on installing and running z2m was exactely to get rid of the Hue bridge.

No, you don’t need the hue bridge. I had issues when I tried, so gave up and just stuck with the bridge. Besides, I get to use all the hue features with the bridge.

Okay well the Hue bridge is cheap enough at the moment via the Ambiance starter kit so probably worth picking up then by the sound of it

So is there any functionality difference between integrating with the hub as oposed to the CC2531? Do all devices apear in home assistant the same way? and does dimming and everything work the same? Can you still use the presets like “tropical Twilight”.

The only difference that is apparent to me is that there is no hue sync anymore.

are there any functionality differences at all?