Hundreds of 'scene.before', cannot delete

I have hundreds of scene.before_1, scene.before_2 etc, up to scene.before_283. I don’t know when they started but from googling they seem to be leftovers from using scene.create in an automation. It’s pretty annoying because I now have hundreds of actions named ‘before’ on my watch HA complication.

I can see them in Settings/Automations/Scenes but delete is greyed out.

How do I get rid of them?

I have something similar. I have 2 dynamic scenes as leftovers. Those are normally created by an automation, for each room one if window opened (to shutdown HVAC and restore state afterwards when closing again). However, as said, I now detected two of those hanging in the system and never disappear. I cannot delete those manually by service call or UI either.

Nor I can find it anywhere in any configuration. They do not disappear on restart of HA nor on complete reboot of the whole system.
I just noticed as I saw error in the log that happens now after the update when calling those scenes, as the HVAC behaviour changed and modes are no longer available (see below), that is how I got notice about it. Now I also no longer wonder why my wife complains about the HVACs keeping running even when opening the window :smiley:

Logger: homeassistant.components.websocket_api.http.connection
Source: components/websocket_api/commands.py:282
Integration: Home Assistant WebSocket API (documentation, issues)
First occurred: 15:17:56 (4 occurrences)
Last logged: 15:18:16

[546549120192] The preset_mode none is not a valid preset_mode: boost, comfort, eco

It looks like the same issue @thoughton seems to have. So how the heck can I / we delete such scenes? Anyone any idea?

All my scenes are written to a file in the config folder of my system.
It is called scenes.yaml

Maybe delete them from there (if they are in there :thinking: )

all are written there but dynamic ones. If you create one by service call, it will not be written into this file. So all the four of my screenshot between the two “_temp” ones are in this file and also I can edit and delete. But those two are not as they are dynamic (and should disappear on restart)

when trying to delete by service call, I get proposed the scene even by autocompletion when typing, but on execution, I get failure with “scene.arbeitszimmer_temp is no validscene entity_id.”

Log entries:

2024-02-15 11:50:31.643 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.helpers.script.websocket_api_script] websocket_api script: Executing step call service
2024-02-15 11:50:31.652 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.helpers.script.websocket_api_script] websocket_api script: Error executing script. Error for call_service at pos 1: scene.arbeitszimmer_temp is not a valid scene entity_id
2024-02-15 11:50:31.654 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.websocket_api.http.connection] [547212192448] scene.arbeitszimmer_temp is not a valid scene entity_id
2024-02-15 11:50:47.665 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.helpers.script.websocket_api_script] websocket_api script: Running websocket_api script
2024-02-15 11:50:47.665 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.helpers.script.websocket_api_script] websocket_api script: Executing step call service
2024-02-15 11:50:47.671 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.helpers.script.websocket_api_script] websocket_api script: Error executing script. Error for call_service at pos 1: scene.wohnbereich_temp is not a valid scene entity_id
2024-02-15 11:50:47.673 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.websocket_api.http.connection] [547212192448] scene.wohnbereich_temp is not a valid scene entity_id

After renaming the temporary, dynamic scene in the automation, it also disappeared in HA and the new name appears. So seemingly this is linked somehow. Maybe that also helps you, @thoughton ?

Ah thanks, I actually solved this in another thread, and forgot about this one.

Basically I needed to add a scene.reload, after using scene.create. It solved my problem but I don’t totally understand why. The example on the docs page does not have it.