Husbzb-1: what I have learned abouto this dongle so far in terms of z-wave and zigbee features

I have husbzb-1. I went out of my way to find out more about this device. I contacted both Nortek and SiliconLabs for help, which is not that helpful.

It turned out that husbzb-1 is mostly a z-wave device. The zigbee is just something the OEM threw in as “added value” and the OEM themselves doesn’t know much about it.

As result, you can expect this thing work well with z-wave.

Zigbee, on the other hand, is a bit tricky.

Much of the tricky part is due to zigbee standard itself. Unlike z-wave, which is practically all-in-one, so as long as there is the word “z-wave”, it should work with each other within a country/region.

Zigbee, on the other hand, by itself doesn’t mean anything from an user’s perspective, because much of compatibility rely on zigbee PLUS some libraries built into the device.

if you have a zigbee device (e.g. light bulb, sensors, etc), you kind of need to know which library that device uses, and you need to make sure your zigbee dongle (husbzb-1) has that built-in as well. These library, though mostly software, can not be added or delete once the device is out of factory.

For our purposes, home automation, there are THREE libraries that may be relevant:

1. home automation
  2. light link
  3. smart energy

The worse part is that zigbee allow vendor to create their own proprietary library, renders device from that company incompatible with anything else on the market.
The best example of such is Xiaomi. Xiaomi devices are zigbee devices, but they uses proprietary library thus none of xiaomi devices will work with anything else from other companies out of box. Security companies such as ADT probably also uses proprietary zigbee devices so you won’t able to connect your husbzb-1 to their devices directly.

As result, when you buy a zigbee compatible light bulb, for example, you need to know if that bulb uses “light link” profile or “home automation” profile. and you need to compare with that with the dongle(husbzb-1) you have.

And here is the frustration part, being an owner of husbzb-1: the OEM nor Siliconlabs (the maker of zigbee chips inside husbzb-1 dongle) knows for sure what zigbee library does husbzb-1 contains.

The closest answer I have gotten is from Siliconlabs, after I told them which chip and what software stack does this dongle contains (in case you are curious: chip used is Silicon Labs EM3581, and software stack is EmberZNet Pro Release 5.4), the tech support says that it MOST LIKELY include

Home Automation version 1.2

What does it mean?

It means that it is UNLIKELY that zigbee light bulb which uses light link profile would work with husbzb-1 out of box.

And here is where this community comes in: if someone got a light bulb uses standard zigbee light link profile (ikea tradfri… kudos to ikea for using standard profile) and managed to get it to work without ikea hub, then, it means husbzb-1 has light link built in.

if someone got a zigbee smart energy monitor device (many utility company in USA is selling such device at heavy discount to promote energy saving) and managed to get it to work with husbzb-1 out of box, then, it means husbzb-1 also contains “smart energy” profile.

but it means someone has to be willing to take the chance and buy the product and see it connect to husbzb-1 or not.

I am hoping if someone already spend the money and bought these devices, he/she can share the result with us so rest of us don’t need to waste our energy and time on it.

then, we will have a clear picture of what devices we should get to make this work.

good luck… and do let me know if I made any error so I don’t accidentally mislead anyone.

ps. I have not find any way to upgrade the firmware of this husbzb-1 yet. if anyone knows there is an upgrade, please share that with us.

6 Likes

Great background!

The is a thread about which zigbee devices are sorted by this here:

I have so far connected 5 Ikea light bulbs, 6 smartthings multisensors and a couple of smartthings outlets.

i am fully aware of that thread. I briefly searched anything about husbzb-1 and i still can’t find which library/profile it uses, for example.

since the thread is not zigbee hub specific, it can be a bit difficult to find information relevant to my husbzb-1. a light bulb that work with wink/vera probably has no bearing on rather it will work with husbzb-1 or not, as example

I believe the zha component only targets the HUSBZB device so everyone on the thread is using that.

Yes that thread is all about devices working with the zha component in HA, which was developed on the HUSBZB-1 and essentially requires that hardware.

speaking of a firmware update, does one even exist for the HUSBZB-1?

Also look at bellows, which is the underlying library built for the HUSBZB device.

There is a ton of information there about what types of devices are supported.

I went through the thread. There are a couple usb dongle mentioned. While they all use Silicon Labs’ EM35XX chipset, several model of chipset is mentioned. In case of zha software, it probably won’t matter so much.

Since the software is called “zha” (zigbee home automation), i am going to assume that zll or zsm (light link, smart energy) is simply not being implemented at home assistant level?

Poking through the code, I see profiles for zll and zha. I also read a thread where I believe they were also talking about zsm.

So I have Ikea light bulbs connected which use zll AFAIK.

1 Like

Yes ZLL lights are implemented - Hue bulbs in particular seem to be working well, others you can scan the thread for. I believe Tradfri lights are also working which implement a set of ZLL features for compatibility with the Hue bridge.

As far as the name of the component (zha) is concerned, I wouldn’t read too much into it. It supports various ZLL devices as you can see from the thread. and by and large the users on that component are using HUSBZB-1, but are looking for a lower cost alternative in different USB sticks based on similar chipsets.

2 Likes

I bought my husbzb for $40, people want cheaper than that?

Can you guys connect Ikea Tradfri without the Ikea Hub and still perform some functions, such as on/off/dimming?

Can you guys connect Phillips Hue light bulbs without hubs and still perform on/off/dimming?

I have 5 “TRADFRI bulb E26 opal 1000lm” bulbs connected to my HUSBZB dongle. Can on/off/dim them via HA.

I did have to install a patch to get them paired, but I think that patch has been rolled into bellows now by default.

1 Like

Yes you can connect hue lights without the need of the hub. I have successfully paired 5 hue white lights and a color.

1 Like

Any tips about pairing Hue bulbs? I reset my bulbs but can’t get the ZHA permit to do anything.

Hello Friends,
Thank you for this thread.
I’m considerting buying the Husbzb-1 hub to control Zigbee smart bulbs in my new home.
Does anyone know if the hub can control GU10 smart LED bulbs manufactured by Innr?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07KT98J3Q/
They appear to be a cheaper and open platform alternative to Philips Hue.
I hope they are supported.