Husqvarna automower simple cheap stuck detection by power metering

I have a Automower 305. It has the bluetooth app, but no API i can use to get any useful data from it. Just for fun I hooked the charger up to a shelly plug S and discovered that it has 3 distinct power modes. Charging(>10W), parked(<1W) and mowing or “out”(1-10W). I decided I can use this to detect if the mower is stuck by monitoring the time it spends in the mowing power state. I created a simple sensor template and a automation that notifies me if the sensor is mowing for more than 2 hours. I could probably set the time shorter because I have stll not had any false alarms. Maybe someone else will also find this useful.

3 Likes

Looks awesome, and a simple cheap way to monitor a non x mower. Do you have any yaml to share on how to calculate the states? Thanks!

Sure.
Sorry about the late reply.

template:
  - sensor:
      - name: Mower_Status
        state: >
          {% if states("sensor.plug1_power") | float(0) <= 1 %}
            parked
          {% elif states("sensor.plug1_power") | float(0) >= 10 %}
            charging
          {% else %}
            mowing
          {% endif %}

Thanks, awesome! I had worked it out and was planning to update but you bet me to it! Our config exactly the same :slight_smile:
I did wonder if it could be improved by adding a state “stuck” and have it change to this after 2h or so, but I couldn’t work out how to do that.
Cheers, Mike.

I looked into the same thing but in the end concluded that i didn’t need it and just trggered the automation on the state being mowing for 2 hours. For my own entertainment I also added a counter, couting the number of mowing cycles in a day and the number of times it gets stuck.