Hydroponics veg control

Hi all, during lock-down, as I do not have a garden I started getting into hydroponics to grow veg indoors. Of course this all needed to be automated and monitor-able via Home Assistant.

Features:

• Grow lights control and automation over ZHA via a Samsung Smart Things switch

• Grow Lights energy consumption monitoring via a Samsung Smart Things switch

• Tent humidity monitor Xiaomi Mijia Temperature and Humidity zigbee sensor

• Tent temperature monitor Xiaomi Mijia Temperature and Humidity zigbee sensor

• Light level sensor via MD-338 lx I2C BH1750 connected to raspberry pi controller running gpio2mqtt

• 5v USB powered fan in tent controlled via relay connected to raspberry pi controller and exposed over gpio2mqtt

• Small 5v water pump and custom drip feed system for none-hydroponics plants in the tent also controlled via relay connected to raspberry pi controller and exposed over gpio2mqtt

• Controller temperature sensor DS18B20 exposed via gpio2mqtt - used to automate the fans on the controller to prevent overheating

• Two small case fans to prevent controller overheating controlled via relay and gpio2mqtt

• Samsung Smart Things leak sensor connected over ZHA with automation to alert me on Amazon echo and push bullet if a leak occurs (actually came in handy once)

• Webcam inside the tent (why not) - exposed by motion eye

• Raspberry pi camera pointing and entry door (figure could do security) - exposed by motion eye

I originally tried getting the temp and humidity using DHT11 and DHT22 sensors over gpio2mqtt but whilst it worked fine it seems the sensors kept dying after a few days before I gave up and acquired a zigbee sensor. I think it might have been the high humidity of the tent that damaged the sensor.

The controller box (grey box on the wall) hosts the raspberry pi, relays, connections, power bricks, fans, temp sensor and air pump. The air pump generates a lot of heat hence the cooling solutions

thanks to https://github.com/flyte/pi-mqtt-gpio which enabled me to use a raspberry pi to control a fair few aspects of the controller from HA

5 Likes

That looks like the setup a lot of my clients are arrested with. (Yes cannabis is still illegal in NZ.)

3 Likes

It is here too, but nothing that fun just Lettuce, Spinach and Kale :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hello friend.

Congrat for your project! I am start grow Chillis (California Reapers chilli) inside house.
Can you share some automations configs with Leds, fan?

Or what you recommend I start configuration?

Thank you hope you can give me some orientation to start!

Do you have anything that can measure and control the Ph level?

Nice work!

1 Like

cool - thank you!

If you want just pH there are cheaper options on Aliexpress.

Does anyone have an affordable / diy hydroponic monitoring system that they are using with Home Assistant? I would like to receive notifications of PH and TDS issues.

I have built some using ESPHome and DfRobot products. I did run into this project that looks to simplify making the connections and things. It is maybe a little bit more expensive then doing it yourselft but it look well done and cheaper then some of the big outfits. https://www.ufire.co/

2 Likes

Interesting

I use Atlas Scientific ezo-usb adapters with the ph and ppm probes and sensors into homeassistant via usb serial integration. best option for zero wiring.

1 Like

Its a nice solution and expensive :sweat_smile:

the i2c method of use on the ezo-sensors is so out of my realm i undoubtedly saved countless man hours for an extra $80 (2 usb adapters)

@docsparks can you explain ? i am looking to an alternative to EZO sensor system (To much expensive investment, for my needs)

out of the box the ezo sensors accept serial commands, and a set list of them exist. without the ezo-usb accessories the ezo-sensors use an i2c interface and in one sentence, I know nothing about it. I get the sca/sdl part and an address… After that, the interaction and the upkeep is completely out of my realm of things i have time to learn about.