Hyperion USB Capture not working after updating to 2023.7.0

I used to be able to turn on and off a Hyperion light, which would enable and disable the LED output of the light, which would be USB Capture by default.

Now when it turns on it sets as a solid colour, not the USB Capture. The USB Capture is not in the list of effects and the USB Capture entity is showing as disabled.

There’s a bug report raised for this, but apparently it’s a change in the way the integration works.
(Check the “known issues” in the integration - https://github.com/home-assistant/core/issues/95994)
The way I’ve now got my automation to switch to the USB capture input is to call 2 services, one to turn off the light, then one to switch on the USB switch:
Note that one is a “light” the other is a “switch”

- service: light.turn_off
    data: {}
    target:
      entity_id: light.<your_instance>
  - service: switch.turn_on
    target:
      entity_id: switch.<your_instance>_component_usb_capture
mode: single

Hope this helps!

2 Likes

Thanks for that info,

I just had to set up a new instance of this and what you have said does not work.

The entity is disabled and if I do enable it, the integration just breaks and the whole thing becomes unavailable and of course the documentation is pretty bad lol

Hyperion - Home Assistant I mean… what??? LOL

How. Do. I. Turn. Off. Hyperion

I think that’s what people want, and now you just, what, cant?

And please don’t get me wrong, I know your just trying to help, Im not blaming you lol

I just don’t know why they allow people to come along and break core functionality like being able to turn an entity on and off

Its a feature not a bug HAHA FML

Ok, might help someone with the same issue. Enable the capture card entity, then restart HA and it seems to work

Maybe they should add that to the documentation :wink:

This is what I’ve got now to turn off Hyperion, i.e. Completely turn off the LEDs

service: switch.turn_off
target:
  entity_id: switch.hyperion_component_led_device

The ‘light.hyperion’ component is now used to turn on / off Home Assistant’s ability to override the colour and set it to a colour or effect.

In my setup all I want is the Hyperion LEDs to turn on / off with the TV and capture the USB input, so the ‘light.hyperion’ is always off and I just control the ‘switch.hyperion_component_led_device’ in my automations