I am totally noob with zigbee and tuya. And i need advice for smart thermostatic radiator valves

All my pull requests were merged. The implementation of the Siterwell GS361 valves will probably be included in the next zigbee2mqtt release.

Before you rush to buy these valves I have to warn you though. The main and only complaint I have about these devices is that sometimes their reaction time is very slow. This is a problem I noticed when I was using the Tuya gateway with the Siterwell UI. The same delay is present using zigbee2mqtt.

When the Zigbee coordinator (zigbee2mqtt) sends an order, the TRV takes between 1 to 30 seconds to execute and reply, The reason for this delay is still unknown to me.

I also noticed that the TRVs sends to the Coordinators all their commands repeated 3 times. This happens even if both devices 20 cm appart. It may be that the waiting time for the acknowledges of the messages is too short. This is imperceptible for the final user. It’s just a curious detail. I use the “debounce_ignore” and “debounce” zigbee2mqtt options per device to avoid firing 3 mqtt messages in a row.

5 Likes

Hi Daniel,
Super work for this integration of these TRV to zigbee2mqtt.
I have been looking at this type of valve for a while. I of course came across the model that you integrated and also on these 2 other models:

The 2 models work with the Tuya gateway. Do you think these models can be integrated like the Siterwell GS361 trv?

I don’t think so. The implementation will be very similar thought.

It’s possible that only the dp codes (the codes that identify the actions) will be different.

Soon I will publish an article explaining what I did to reverse engineered the implementation of this tuya-based TRV.

1 Like

Thank you for your return I look forward to your article.

I had planned to write 3 articles but then I received a shit-ton of work and I couldn’t finish the 3rd article describing how to teach zigbee2mqtt to interact with a new device. Hopefully, I will do it soon.

4 Likes

Looks great, any clue how this Tuya thermostat hardware compares to competitors? For example how is your experience with the battery life? I noticed in one of your screenshots it said 75% after how long was this?

After 1 week of heavy use @KVaak While I was learning how to decode the messages I had to interact with it a lot.

This is the current status of the batteries AAx2 that came with the device.

Capture

They arrived on March 4th. The radiator of the living room reached 75% since that day. Probably that one was not used during my tests.

My Home Assistant sends orders to them at least twice per day. I have 4 automations to change the temp during day, night and when a window in the room is open or close. Do you estimations with that.

I have two complaints about this device thought.

1. Sometimes the orders take time to be executed on the devices. This also happen with the original Siterwell software. So I think is not fault of zigbee2mqtt.
  2. The idea to press to turn on and then use the circle to change temperature is not very intuitive. Sometimes you press the device and you ended changing the “mode”. It has 3 modes and the icons that identify them are not very descriptive. I keep the child-lock enabled in all of them and use HASS to control them. That way I avoid change their config by mistake.

Thank you very much for these first 2 articles Daniel I look forward to the last

Great work @dzegarra, that’s amazing!

Just to verify:
If I buy the same thermostats as you have I won’t need to sniff the traffic since you already submitted your code upstream, right?
I can just use zigbee2mqtt to listen to / control them directly? (I don’t use HA)

And if I contact the supplier you linked and ask them for the “Siterwell GS361A-H04 Zigbee 3.0 version” I should end up with the same device you have?
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Manufacture-Reddot-design-award-Bluetooth-Z_60782820931.html?bypass=true

Hi @marco.brieden. The support for this thermostat was included in the version 1.12.1 of Zigbee2Mqtt. It should work just after pairing the device. The current version is 1.13.1.

I didn’t specify the version of the devices to the seller. I was not even aware that there was more than one version. :smile:

The support of Zigbee2Mqtt for this device was partially broken in the version 1.13.0.

If you use the last version of Zigbee2Mqtt you won’t be able to get and set the heating mode from HASS by using the MQTT discovery integration. If you use the previous version (1.12.2) it will work fine.

I will submit a merge request to fix the bug as soon as I can. Currently, I’m quite busy.

Seems like someone tried to improve the functions that encode and decodes the data from Tuya devices and ended breaking the integration with home assistant.

2 Likes

Hi @dzegarra
I see you did great work on these TRVs! Thank you so much!
Is it working now with latest zigbee2mqtt version?
Does the TRV include one (or even maybe two) temperature and humidity sensor? Or do I need an extra external temperature sensor to place in the same room?
By the way, is it a direct integration of the TRV or does the data goes to Tuya cloud?

I’m still using the version 1.12.2. I didn’t try to update it yet. Maybe the problem was already solved.

The TRV has its own temperature sensor. It does a good job. I have an electronic thermometer in one of the rooms and it usually has +/- 1 degree of difference with the temperature reported by the TRV.

The TRV uses only the Zigbee protocol. It communicates directly with the zigbee2mqtt coordinator which uses MQTT to interact with Home Assistant. No Tuya Cloud involvement. You don’t even need Wifi/Ethernet to make it work.

1 Like

Awesome! You convinced me of buying it! I will start with no other temperature sensor, and see how it goes. Thank you @dzegarra

Hey but I say that there is a newer version with more modes which is also supported by zigbee2mqtt. Have you heard of it?

Did anyone try with a Tuya zigbee model? According to the supplier, it is NOT. a zigbee 3.0 model.

Nope. Could you share the link?

According to the sellers, none of them are zigbee 3.0. Are you sure yours is?

For the new one : https://m.alibaba.com/product/1600091505727/Room-heating-smart-radiator-thermostat-With.html?__sceneInfo={"cacheTime"%3A"1800000"%2C"type"%3A"appDetailShare"}

For the old one:
https://m.alibaba.com/product/62579009145/Siterwell-Tuya-Bluetooth-thermostat-radiator-valve.html?__sceneInfo={"cacheTime"%3A"1800000"%2C"type"%3A"appDetailShare"}

And here is the zigbee2mqtt link

Did you purchase any?