I am totally noob with zigbee and tuya. And i need advice for smart thermostatic radiator valves

I’ve got three different zigbee tuya valves connected to home assistant:

1. Siterwell GS361-H04 ← This one is my favourite because of the nice screen and the responsiveness
  2. Saswell SEA802 ← This one is nice because it has the screen in a much better position than most others. It is also the most silent of the three.
  3. Moes HY368 ← this one is crap because the controls are lousy and the screen is fitted in a really weird way. It is also the noisiest of them all. It does support boost mode.

Initally I had them connected through deConz but I experienced a lot of issues. Recently switched to ZHA and they’re now working great (big thanks for those who’ve all made it work!), and respond really fast (both ways).

As mentioned by someone else above, unfortunately the functionality is limited. They are essentially always in Heat mode, and there seems to be no way to read the valve position.
Ideally I would even prefer to set the valve position from home assistant and build a real smart heating system, but reading it would already be very useful, as this would allow me to correctly know if the boiler should be switched on or not. (I currently derive this from the difference between the target and the current temperature).
In an older version of deConz, the valve position was actually an attribute in home assistant, but even there it has dissappeared.

Did anyone succeed in reading those valve positions using ZHA? or does anyone have a clue how to get that to work?

Thanks a lot!

I’m afraid I can’t help you with your question (I only use the temperature setting to control them, I can’t figure out how to set them using the preset modes - I have no idea what each preset corresponds to or how to set them to particular temperatures). Your comments on deConz are interesting as I found exactly the same a few months ago and switched to ZHA. Since then things work perfectly.

Hi All,

I’m also thinking about buying some of these tuya based TRV’s.
a quick ctrl+f on cloud did not really answer my biggest question about these.
Can they work without a cloud connection? Or does tuya only work by sending something to a zigbee controller, which sends it to cloud, which sends it back down to HA?

If you go the ZigBee route you have to have a controller. I have a RaspBee II in a Raspberry Pi as my controller and use ZHA to handle ZigBee through it. With this everything is between my devices and this controller with no cloud. If you went the Tuya ZigBee route then you would have their cloud involved.

Hi all,
I often read about the noise the various TRV are doing and casually in my case I had to put a little rubber thickness between the valve and the actuator on the radiator because the valve wasn’t able to close it completely and done that I had as a side effect that the TRV became much more silent than before, so for everyone having noisy TRV, just try to put some rubber (with a bit of glue) on the TRV where the element that moves push the radiator actuator and that’s it.
This little workaround will apply to all kinds of TRV and will improve for sure the noise produced.
The valve will auto-regulate during the installation phase and will work like before. For information, I use the Siterwell GS361A-H04 as I mentioned in the previous post.

Sorry to exploit this post, but I think it is relevant to others too.

I ordered those Thermostatic Radiator Valve and the page clearly states “ZigBee”.

I received those meterk TRV E12753 that are rebranded SEA802-DF TRV from saswell.

I cannot understand which protocol they use from the “instructions” (really 4 pages of really generic stuff) or the producer page.

Seawell has also other TRV under Zigbee category like Zigbee 3.0 Thermostatic Radiator Valve SEA802 manufacturer,China Zigbee 3.0 Thermostatic Radiator Valve SEA802 , but the “instructions” on bot pages are exactly the same.

I think the Seawell SEA802-DF aren’t Zigbee but probably Wifi with a proprietary hub.
Can someone help me ?

I think you are right, they aren’t Zigbee, as they say it here:
“The separate thermostat does not support WIFI operation, you must use the matching gateway SASWG-04-WIFI (TY) to use the WIFI function.”
Like other producers, they offer different kinds of TRV, a Zigbee version and a Wifi version, so if your gateway cannot see them, probably you got the Wifi version (that it seems to need a specific gateway).

Remember ZigBee is not wifi. You need a hub that coordinates with all the other ZigBee devices. I use a RaspBee II in my Raspberry Pi as my hub. Then the ZigBee network spreads out from that (I have both battery devices and mains devices, the latter act as “extenders” too).

Thank @miky_italy but I cannot find the string in the original transaction screenshot I have aliexpress.

My gateway is a CC2652 ZigBee coordinator + RPi4 + homeassistant + zigbee2mqtt, I had no problem until now with any zigbee device (if they were zigbee obviously).

This was the description at the time (now it is changed) that for me means “this item is a Zigbee TRV” :

Features:
Smart thermostatic radiator valve that can be controlled by your phone before you come back home.
Compatible with Alexa and Google Assistant for hands-free voice control.
Create thermostat group to centralized control and support device sharing.
Programmable/ manual mode switchable, 6 periods can be set each day.
Detects opened windows by falling temperatures 6℃ within 4 minutes, the valve would close automatically.
1℃ accuracy keeps temperature within the level you set.
Keypad locking function is designed to prevent children from operating by mistake.
With anti-froze function to prolong the service life of the device.
Note: please purchase Tuya ZigBee gateway separetly.
Specifications:
Material: PVC
Color: White
Temperature Sensor: NTC
Temperature Accuracy: ±1℃
Display Range: 0~60℃
Temperature Setting: 5~60℃
Applicable Temperature: 0~50℃
Frequency: 2.4G
Standard Installation Size: M30 * 1.5mm
Power Supply: 2 * AA Batteries (NOT INCLUDED)
Item Size: 95.77 * 55.0mm / 3.8 * 2.2in
Package Size: 10.3 * 7.5 * 6.0cm / 4.1 * 3.0 * 2.4in
Package Weight: 80g / 2.8oz
Package List:
1 * ZigBee Thermostatic Radiator Valve
1 * Set of Installing Accessories
1 * User Manual (English)

Thanks, I’m well aware of this : my gateway is a CC2652 ZigBee coordinator + RPi4 + homeassistant + zigbee2mqtt, I had no problem until now with any zigbee device (if they were zigbee obviously).
I have also battery device and “plug” device that act as extender and mixing different brands was not a problem.

Sorry, I just noticed that the aliexpress snapeshot is private!
here a couple of screenshots

Okay, so you have to find how to put the TRV in pairing mode and pair it with your gateway.
Are there some indications in the manual?
Mine is quite simple, the rotation ring can be pressed and if you press it three times it goes in pairing mode, and then it goes like the other ZigBee elements.

I don’t use zigbee2mqtt but instead use ZHA. Other than that sounds like we’re doing pretty much the same. As mentioned elsewhere, it sounds like you need to find how to put your device into pairing mode which unfortunately I can’t help with.

This TRV is the same, but the whole point I am not sure if this is Zigbee or not, this was my original question.

I strongly doubt this is a Zigbee TRV, there is no indication of this on the box or in the “instruction”.

As a side question : do you live in italy? I have never seen this kind of TRV in italy in my experience.

Thanks for the follow up amyway :grinning:

Thanks for caring about my question, but the original question was that I am not sure if this is Zigbee or not.

I am capable of paring any zigbee device with my coordinator, no worries :grinning:

1 Like

Well, as you can imagine, I cannot guess for you if it is or not a ZigBee TRV. In my previous comments in this thread, I mentioned my TRV that is different from the one you bought, so probably you are on your own path with that if no one else has them.
BTW yes, I live in Italy and I bought my TRV directly on the Alibaba site, having my own trouble as I described before :slight_smile:, but at least I’ve got them at the lower price possible. I know you can find my TRV on Amazon too, but there they cost double, more or less.

Well, this was the original question :sweat_smile:

Cool, I thought the average Italian radiator aren’t compatible whit TRV.
I am in Germany and those are pretty common.

@maxym
I do have 9 of those hooked up to zigbee2mqtt.
Working fine.
One problem thought. If one has small children, the thermostat can be easily taken off from base and one needs to follow the installation procedure again and again and again :grinning:

Update from my side: I sent the non-zigbee TRV back and got one of those
Tuya ZigBee TRV for around 23 EUR + shipping+taxes ~30 EUR.

Fast shipping , ~11 days from China to Germany.
Mounted directly on German heaters screw, no adapter.

Works flawlessly with HA and zigbee2mqtt addon v1.22.1-1.

I discovered I was stuck with zigbee2mqtt addon v1.18, that doesn’t support those TRV.

I find it really quiet.

1 Like

This seems to be a good product with M28 adapter.
I don’t need to buy an extra adapter like other TRV’s :unamused:
We have to see the consumption in terms of battery because 3 AA for a TRV, it seems to me a lot.
I will buy one just for testing.