I cannot reach the homeassistant URL in my web browser no matter what I try

I’m installing homeassistant supervisor on a debian 11 VM on an intel nuc via virtualbox. Everything installs fine and I get the message " Within a few minutes you will be able to reach Home Assistant at:
[info] http://homeassistant.local:8123 or using the IP address of your
[info] machine: http://192.168.1.85:8123"

But when I try to go to that URL, it never loads. I’ve tried reinstalling debian, i’ve tried older versions of the os-agent. I’ve rebooted, temporarily disabled firewalls, used the ha-cli to do ‘ha core update’ and ‘ha core restart’. I’ve tried making the ip static in my router settings, and it shows up and doesn’t seem to be blocked or anything. nothing seems to work. I can reach the observer port, but I always get “This site can’t be reached
192.168.1.85 refused to connect.”

I’d appreciate any help here. Thanks!

Hi, welcome to the forum!

Can you ping the IP address of your HA and do you get a reply?
Also, make sure that your browser is not defaulting to httpS instead of http

Your virtualbox network adapter is set to bridged?

As a newbie here, my 1st suggestion would be to give the system enough time to completely bootup. You might be jumping the g*n, so to speak, with not allowing the system to get itself ready. :man_shrugging:

For example, on my test machine, it can take more than 4 minutes before I can access the HA web address. However, once everything is up and running, it’s smooth :sailboat:'ing :sunglasses:

Regardless, I hope you figure it out.

Hi
Yes I can ping it successfully and my network adapter is set to bridged. I have also given it hours before trying to connect with no luck. I read something about Debian blocking access to port 8123, but I changed the firewall setting to allow access to 8123 and still no luck.

Do you think it’s a virtual box issue?

Doesn’t seem to be VirtualBox, as I have the same thing with UTM. Maybe it’s an HA problem?

Your problem can be completely different from the OP.

1 Like

I decided to just download and install the virtual box image from the home assistant website, and it seems to work fine. Does anybody know if this method is any different than installing haos on Debian? It’ seems much simpler to install.

Different in what way?
Both are HAOS.

Out of curiosity: for what reason are you running Debian to run HA on top of it an now even with virtualisation software between?

I was looking at the instructions to install Home Assistant Supervised so that I could still get add-ons, but it seems like that was an unnecessary path to go down. Is there any reason to install Supervised?

No, it’s not: it’s the least preferred method for running HA.
If you have a look at home-assistant.io → installation → advanced installation methods you see that only HAOS ticks all the boxes but of course it’s up to your preference.

Depending on the system specs I would run HAOS bare metal or virtualise with Proxmox VE which adds some nice advantages (snapshots & backups) & the possibility to run containers in an easy way.

Just my 2c

Actually I was considering proxmox since I’m having trouble getting bluetooth to pass through (tried both virtual box and vmware). The only catch is that I have windows on a nuc that I’d like to keep since I think having the nuc dedicated just for haos is overkill, and it’s nice to have windows for some things (all my other computers are non-windows).

Any opinions on that?

In my opinion, Windows with desktop virtualisation software is the worst combo to run a server on.
Don’t get me wrong: I’m also using W10 Pro on my desktop & laptop.
It’s true that a beefy system just with HA can be overkill but the point is: what are you using that Windows for. Do you really need it?

Does your NUC have enough RAM?
I would only start with baremetal virualisation if it has 16Gb RAM - did this for about 1,5y but since I run to many things for 16GB, my system now has 32GB
You could virtualise that Windows with Proxmox.

Hey there, just asking for understanding you installed a debian vm to install homeassistant?
Why dont u install just the extracted vdi image with homeassistant?
in my opinion there is misconfiguration in efi or secureboot

whats the bootscreen or installscreen showing when u click the details? Generic x86-64 should be the image when u want to install on debian vm - vdi image for direct vm import.
Then did u check that secure boot is off and uefi boot on, in your vm?
I think the vdi image just needs the efi on, the installation on x86 needs secureboot off, uefi on and the correct bootloader

efibootmgr --create --disk /dev/ --part 1 --label “HAOS”
–loader ‘\EFI\BOOT\bootx64.efi’

installed from a live system on the machine u want ha running.

yeah, I decided to just use the vdi and abandon installing haos on Debian. It’s much simpler that way

My nuc has 8GB. Do you think proxmox with a windows environment and HAOS environment would work? I’m starting out, so I don’t have too many smart home devices yet.

I don’t use windows often, but when there is that rare instance where I need an application that only runs on windows, it’s nice to have.

8GB is quite on the edge and the point is: when you start to reconfigure your NUC, you loose that Windows install (which of course can be installed as VM on Proxmox) and if you start with HAOS, also as a VM you are somehow bound to this.
Going back is possible of course but if you start to build HA and automate stuff in your house, it can be a PITA if your HA is down because your decision might not work as you expected.