I could use some adivce on outdoor lighting

I could use some advice on lighting up the inside of a gazebo. We’ve toss expensive LED string lights because they just don’t last very long. The last set from Atomi lasted 13 months.

My wife wants string lights that, as she says and I quote “they have to dangle”. I just want bright (dimmable) RGBW lighting… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Considering the “dangly” bit, what are my options?

The gazebo is quite small 10x12

You could search for megatree lights:

(I‘m not affiliated, I ordered mine from AliExpress)

1 Like

Oh, very interesting… How are you using them?

At the moment to fill some boxes taking up space in a closet😝
The plan is to build a megatree:

1 Like

Whoa… That can’t be the same lights is it?

Yes they are, mounted with this:

:rabbit2: hole warning!

Have you looked at Jasco’s options? Cafe Lights (byjasco.com). Not sure if all these are able to integrate to Home Assistant, but you didn’t include that in your requirements anyway.

They look a bit like the Atomi string. Yep, HA integration necessary, but would be nice.

Thanks for your input.

Do your lights have their own dedicated plug? If so, you could consider making the plug smart with a Shelly relay or something like that instead trying to find smart lights which would open up your choices of suitable lighting options considerably.

Or you could just use something like this to plug them in to (I

Here’s another thread with more suggestions.

Jeecee

I am confused looks like you are using 6812 and the post above that you stated is is the same light is a pixel string…

Where did you pick up rgbw pixel strings? I have been searching for something “not aliexpress” for some time.

D assist.

Sorry, I overlooked the ‘W’ in RGBW. They are just plain RGB and also from aliexpress (but from a ‘reputed’ seller: BTFLighting.
I guess indeed for a gazebo the W channel is important.

I found this seller, but currently out of stock.
If you like soldering (a lot!): this seller sells single pixels.

I am surprised you are having issues with LED strips. I have gazebo that look exactly like yours. I placed IP67 LED lights on the ledge above the curtain holders. They are in their 3rd year. I sealed all the ends and opening with electronic grade silicon. The controller is inside the house. Ran about 20 feet of 14 guage wire out to the start of the strip. Use a lot of heat shrink tubing to protect the solder connections.

If you are replying to me, it doesn’t sound like your lights meet the “dangly” requirement in my original post. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: