I do not have curtains

Hi,

so I just installed HA on a Pi4. After setup, it found 2 SwitchBot curtains, which is cool, but I do not have curtains.

I could interact with them through HA and it showed them respond to my controls, the history also showed my actions.

So, since I really do not have bluetooth controlled curtains in my home, is it possible that I controlled my neighbors curtains?

After some minutes, I could see that calibration turned on on the curtains, and after some playing around they were unresponsive, but right now they’re happily doing their work again - I used this occasion to learn about HA automations.

But there remain questions - could this really be? Are these SwitchBot things so unsecure, that your neighbor can control your curtains with a Pi?

Thanks

1 Like

I have the lock controller (which definitely requires credentials), but I got my blind controllers afterwards, so already had an account (and the credentials in HA) and didn’t add them to HA until after I had already calibrated them in the Switchbot app/linked them to my account. But my recollection is that it still required account credentials?

With the curtains though, they’re on the third generation so I wonder if only the older ones are open for anyone to control?

No complaints with the products of theirs I have, seem pretty high quality for the price (and all local control).

Have you tried asking the neighbours? They would know whether you are controlling their curtains before anyone here on the forum does.