I give up, just is not worth the time and effort

1 Like

Or you can automate it by scheduling a job in windows to do it every day (assuming you have an automation in HA that creates a snapshot every night)

@echo off

REM --- Robocopy
REM     --------
REM
REM --- Copy Home Assistant Snapshots and config folder to OneDrive 
REM
REM --- Parameters used:
REM
REM --- /MIR : MIRror a directory tree 
REM
REM --- /DST : Compensate for DST time differences 
REM
REM --- /XD : eXclude Directories 
REM
REM --- /XF : eXclude Files 

echo ====================================================================
echo COPYING - Home Assistant Snapshots
echo ====================================================================

echo.
echo === 
echo === Mapping to HASSIO...
echo ===
echo.

net use x: \\192.168.1.25\backup
x:

echo.
echo === 
echo === Deleting old snapshots (matching *.tar) on
echo === HASSIO that are older than 8 days...
echo ===
echo.

forfiles /m *.tar /d -8 /c "cmd /c del @file"

echo.
echo === 
echo === Robocopy new snapshots on HASSIO to
echo === OneDrive folder on PC...
echo ===
echo.

robocopy "\\192.168.1.25\backup" "D:\Users\USERNAME\OneDrive\Home Assistant Backups"

echo.
echo === 
echo === Deleting old snapshots from OneDrive folder
echo === on PC that are older than 14 days...
echo === 
echo.

forfiles /m *.tar /p "D:\Users\USERNAME\OneDrive\Home Assistant Backups" /d -14 /c "cmd /c del @file"

echo.
echo === 
echo === Robocopy current HASSIO config folder
echo === to OneDrive folder on PC...
echo ===
echo.

robocopy "\\192.168.1.25\config" "D:\Users\USERNAME\OneDrive\Home Assistant Backups\Latest config"  /MIR /DST /XF *.db *.log /XD deps tts .*

echo.
echo === 
echo === List current snapshots on HASSIO...
echo ===
echo.

dir x: /o:-d /a:-d

pause

echo.
echo === 
echo === List current snapshots in OneDrive folder on PC...
echo ===
echo.

dir "D:\Users\USERNAME\OneDrive\Home Assistant Backups" /o:-d /a:-d

pause

REM --- Remove drive mapping
REM ---
net use x: /delete /y
1 Like

It’s funny
 my automation has stopped working 2 nights ago and I have no idea why. It still creates the snapshot but doesn’t upload it. I did just run the automation manually and it worked perfectly
 Reall odd as it’s one automation that creates the snapshot, waits an hour and uploads it
 and the automation is ON.

I have no idea why it’s just now screwed the pooch.

And today it works
 I did change a few things around in dropbox as it was getting full but no reason that would have caused this
 (the notifications weren’t getting activated either for that automation. Maybe 0.87.1 fixed it?

1 Like

Simply click on the snapshot you want to copy in the Hass.io Snapshots menu .In the bottom corner next to bin icon is a download icon . Download to your PC and keep it safe :slight_smile:

FWIW - I gave up and recently came back. I gave up because the pi was underpowered, SD cards died all the time, and HA updates constantly broke compatibility. So I switched to smartthings. In the end, it was too limiting. I got myself a used intel NUC, loaded hassio, and HA runs great. Now the updates can still break compatibility, but that’s what backups are for!

Ah. I now have HA, so no more snapshots

I moved to OnDroid XU4 with eMMC due to concerns with SD cards.

Have to say after a bit of faffing about with the install it runs really fast and stable.

Referencing @zegikniet - I do feel for you. There’s been times I had to slam my head against the wall. But that’s the fun isn’t it? Or not for you.

He’s gone, last login was this post. HA is not for everyone
 yet.

It never will be for everyone, it will always require some time and investment like with any kind of software. This person is probably better off with Homekit or Google Home.

This thread should probably be closed in my opinion as it is no use and it doesn’t contain a question nor a solution to anything.

5 Likes

The SD card issue in my opinion is a big one. In order for any software or technical product to become mainstream it must have a low barrier of adoption and a high level of reliability. Many of us here work in software. I write automation tools for enterprises. I never once assumed my needs would be served by a PI to start with. But we must assume most users don’t have this background. Hass.io is easy to get up and running and its almost so easy to use its pitfalls are of it’s own making. Automation is pretty addicting and soon a not so technical user has outgrown the PI + SD card combo but aren’t aware and get frustrated. I’m personally onboard with the bass install on a PI + SD being preconfigured to limit reads and writes. Let the use opt in to unlock advanced features with a big warning that the system could become unstable. This allows the novice to get their feet wet in relative safety and when they out grow it they can come to the great community here for guidance and a bigger build out.

1 Like

Not had any issues for a long time with Pi3 B+, Genuine Pi power supply and Genuine SD cards- Sandisk or Samsung. Was new to this when I started and patience is virtue in this world, especially when things don’t go to plan. Backups are a must of config files and every so often before upgrades an image file

1 Like

Just 1 more voice to add
 glad to see this thread used as a sounding board rather than a troll feeder. To that end, I have to give a +1 to adjusting hassio defaults for a more reliable experience. I am a newb to hassio, yaml and java, but have been a tinkerer for decades (already knew c, custom built/programmed drones, DIY 3dprinters, etc) so was able to get my pi3+ with sd working acceptably well for now (and likely at least a year with adjustments to recording and a 10A supply). I will probably get bored before than and invest in a nuc
 but that doesn’t help anyone who may be stepping into what they will feel is a trap for newbs.

That said, I think folks that have developed the required patience & research skills to be successful with (hope this doesn’t sound too pejorative) ‘hacky projects’ like the current hassio release are more of an exception to the average newb (also hope that didn’t sound too grandiose). The reality is there are and will be many truly non-tech types (by 2020 standards) happening upon hassio as an intro to home auto
 or even for an alarm system
 and maybe even more folks just seeking to upgrade from limitations with popular hubs (wink, st, etc).

Hassio doesn’t have to be a headache for these users. While it may be fun at times to observe some newb debauchery (a right of passage if you will), but there is limit to that. It is one thing when a newb is overly thankful for a simple config line that ended hours of frustration. It starts to become evil imho when newbs have to spend $ to replace broken hardware due to just a poor config for an assumed choice of hardware (getting started guide of course assumes rpi w/ sd
 at the same time defaults to record all zwave entities including attributes, weather, etc
 stuff even advanced users would rarely need).

I’m all for defaults with no recording to help newbs, or at least just the bare minimum (binary states maybe). Then recording and its implications can be introduced as a ‘once all is running smoothly’ lesson
 with appropriate bold warnings about instability, sd cards, etc
 heck probably a good time to inject thoughts about a nuc. Something like a
 ‘we see you are running hassio off an sd and adding recordings
 going down this road can reduce sd card life
 after a point you need to consider a nuc or similar’.

Kenneth’s post above really brought the wisdom here
 we are all human, and looking at it from a non-tech perspective we can easily understand the frustration. Sometimes it is hard to fully ‘wear the other person’s shoes’, but in this case it should be easy enough for us to see why the frustration and how it could have been avoided. Wasting $ isn’t fun for anyone, especially if the ‘howto guide tells you to do so’.

2 Likes

Java? O.o

“Java is to JavaScript what Ham is to hamburger, or what car is to carpet”

1 Like

Hehe, I am learning the basics of js and yaml now (so green I can still mix up java vs js)
 one of the welcome side effects of this home auto project. I have had many friends tell me java is so easy
 just needed a real reason to learn it and here it is. :wink:

And you’re still mixing them up.

2 Likes

*js
 lol I can’t think and type at the same time. :wink:

Lol. You’ll figure it out one day.

Just wanted to revive this thread, as I presume the sentiment expressed by the originial poster resonates with MANY folks to this day. My relationship with the hardware was off to a rocky start. Fortunately,I’m six months strong and my SD card is handling quite nicely (knocks on wood). While I deserve for this card to become one day corrupted (impromptu turning off power WITHOUT shutting down first out of frustration
a BIG NO NO), I believe what saved my arse is regularly updating it with apt get updates/upgrades. It’s still kickin’.

I am highly considering getting one of those HDD USB drives
but they’re super pricey. I’d like to be prepared for when my SD card finally flips the bird at me.

EDIT: typo

You can get 1TB WD Passports for something like $50-60 USD, I wouldn’t really call that pricey.

I suppose not if there wasn’t a thing called a “budget.”