I had a hard time getting notifications to work

When I first played with Home Assistant,I was not sure that I was going to use it. I said no to about everything when I installed the android phone app.

Well, I decided I liked it and as I progressed I couldn’t get notifications to work. I spent serious time on this because every youtube I watched blew past making my HA server talk to my phone like it wasn’t a deal. I am wondering how this magic is happening as I don’t have ports open to the internet.

Eventually I learned that it is using Googles “firebase cloud messaging server”. I don’t remember setting that up. Found out it is part of play services.

Finally I tried sending a notification to my tablet instead of my phone. That worked.

Uninstalled the app from my phone and reinstalled. I said yes to a lot of stuff and it is working.

Oh yeah, I kept thinking this companion thing was a separate app. Learned that the companion setting only shows up on mobile devices.

Thought I’d post this if someone has my issues, I don’t need help right now.

for notifications, I liked pushbullet/telegram more. The notifications on the companion app is gone as soon you click it. In pushbullet/telegram, you go to the message and that doesnt disappear. Also there are more features (like a picture sending) to those too.
This is not help, but insights on more options free for you to consider :slight_smile:

I send notifications with snapshots, colors, buttons to dismiss or open an app like Reolink camera on the phone, etc.

1 Like

Settings > companion app > notification history

they are all there and you can use things like sticky and persistent to prevent it from being dismissed easily

not sure what you are talking about picture support has been there since day 1.

1 Like

That ’ notifications are gone as soon ass you click on them ’ is same on iPhone. Would be very useful to other noobs like me to have that line in the docs regarding companion app notifications. Would have saved me a lot of time lol

I use Pushover with snapshots - works really well.

I am quite the opposite.
I love the fact that you can set them to auto-dismiss after “X” time.
Use case:

10 people working at winery.
Someone arrives at gate.
Somebody will pick it up, buzz then in (actionable notification).
Within a minute, everyone’s phone cleaned of the notification.
Without that, people would have 20/day or more to wade through to see the latest.

every page in the docs has a edt link, you can submit changes you feel that would help the next person.

2 Likes

I don’t see this option. Does it exist on iOS?

dont think so