I made a crappy Nest Thermostat integration that will work as a stopgap until alternatives come out

FWIW I had the same github issue (repo appeared to be deleted); updating to the latest version of HASS Core and HACS got me working again, though I had to go through the process to re-grab my cookie since it had expired.

Can anyone tell me, i got one of 2 thermostats dissapear by some reason’

i reinstalled badnes, regened a cookie.

but the same, other themostats work and one is not showing up

why did the author dump the integration?
any new integration is out there?

More good news about the “official” Nest integration guys. There’s a lot of great work done by @allenporter on bringing Google SDM back into the Nest integration. By the looks of it the next version (0.118) will ship with support for Camera, Climate and Sensor.

More info about it on the RC docs for the upcoming 0.118: https://rc.home-assistant.io/integrations/nest/

There is currently a $5 (US) one-time fee you’ll have to throw at Google to be able to use the API though. Principles aside, that’s not too much money for what we’ll get back from it.

If it’ll be more stable than having to refresh my token/cookie manually every week or so, I’ll be a happy camper and wave goodbye to this crappy Nest Thermostat integration (not my words).

2 Likes

I wonder if the new integration will be better option than homebridge-nest combo. I don’t see NestProtect support unfortunately so i guess i’ll stick to the combo for a bit longer.

@denveronly yep, native Google integration.
If your interested, I updated instructions today on how to get it working:

Hi Ruben,

Is it possible to have your installation process ?
I have a Pi3 with Hassio and I want to connect to my Nest device.

Best regards.

Great manual, ill try to follow it up.
If you could make a video of it, it would be a hit

Lol I’ve never done a video. Something to think about.
I did reach out to the thread op to request he pins my post to his first post but no response. It would certainly help people stumbling across the post.

1 Like

your manual helped me out. it was a very complicated if i did not have your manual. All worked fine except 1 thermostat of 4. it is seen in nest app, google asked if i should add it . but it didnt appear in HA. I had problems with in using badnest integration.

I was using baddest for a while (and still have to use it on homebridge) with 2 thermostats. This new integration seems to have both thermostats and Hello and Home Hub Max cams. Obviously, not everything works fully yet for thermostats and cams but it is good progress so far. Looking forward to a finished product - devs are doing a great job.

As a suggestion, did you remove Badnest from HA and reboot before adding the new integration? And are you on 0.118.0b0 onwards?

Btw, i have these three thermostats as devices, but i dont have them as entities like climate.bedroom, am i missing something?
i did remove badnest and all entities it had

my HA version is 0.117.6 i dont have any new available in supervisor

its strange, beacuse i get 3 devices and 6 entities (two sensors on each) no climate
and also no hub max, no climate.
wtf

Going up to 0.118 beta opens up so much more of the integration.

Also, I found that I had to go to Entities and remove each Bad Nest entity

It is however a beta so best to backup first. To be in the beta, go to Supervisor - System and enable beta

Oh great, i didnt know that! beta 0.118
now i have 4 entities (3 thermostats, 1 nest hub max) and 10 entities, climate entitites are visible to. wooohoo :sunglasses:

but… 1 thermostat is still not visible that i have in nest app. should i reinstall it in the app maybe?

Because Nest integration in 0.117.x doesn’t support thermostats (climate) yet. Read the release notes…

Should work in 0.118, if i’m not mistaken.

Might be worth a shot doing a reinstall of it all to get the 4th thermostat. I would say remove config, integration, each entity, reboot ha and try it all again.
Also, is that missing thermostat at the same home as the other 3?

James,

You’re the man! Thansk a lot for this manual, works like a charm!

2 Likes

You’re welcome. Im pleased it helped

Ugh - the new official google API has humidity as a ‘read only’ item… so, I may be stuck with badnest to automate humidity settings unless that changes.

James, I have seeing exactly the same thing as ‘denveronly’. I have two thermostats, in the same house, linked to the same account. Can control both in Nest app. Google asks for permission for both when setting up native Nest integration but HA shows up only one of them. I even took the offending thermostat off the account, did a full reset, added it back, removed Nest integration in HA and added it back again. No dice though. HA just doesn’t see it.

Do not know what to try next. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help in advance.