Having bought a Nest, and never signing up for the API, I’m stuck in the position I’m sure a ton of people are in right now: no way to access it from Home Assistant.
I did some reverse engineering on their webapp and found that they have a fairly decent API that they use for that. Taking this, I made a home assistant integration for the Nest thermostat that will hopefully work until a better solution comes around.
There are several drawbacks to this approach:
- No proper error handling
- Won’t work with 2FA enabled accounts (Works with 2fa Google Accounts)
- Tested with a single thermostat, I have no other devices to test with
- Camera integration is untested by me
- Nest could change their webapp api at any time, making this defunct
- The thermostat “Away” preset doesn’t work
There is preliminary support for cameras.
But for my use case, it is functioning perfectly in my home assistant, and I hope it works for others.
The code is all open source, and you can add it to HACS with https://github.com/USA-RedDragon/badnest
I do want to emphasize that this isn’t a permanent solution, or even a good one, but that it’s a decent stopgap.
If there are issues that users experience with this integration, or something I missed, feel free to open an issue in the repo and I’ll gladly look into it.
Hope this helps those of us who bought into the Nest Ecosystem.