I made a crappy Nest Thermostat integration that will work as a stopgap until alternatives come out

As an user who’s interested in further development of this integration i think we(me and other users) can give you access to these devices via Family share function. (i don’t have the doorbell but i have Protects which i would like to have in HA as well)

The question is, are you interested…? :laughing:

Btw: I have two thermostats and unfortunately none of them are showing in my HA devices. Is possible to get at least one of them in HA or there must be only one device per account in order to get the access? Thanks!

This would also mean that we would need a nest account to use as authentication, and not a google account :frowning: Just tried to find a way to create a nest account, and its gone everything forces you to go authenticate with google

Hi, I am interesting for this integration too. I haven’t install my Nest thermostat yet. Will I be able to integrate my thermostat?

How do you install this? I have HASSIO in Docker. Not sure what HACS is?
Can’t find in addons and can’t add the URL as a repo so I’m a bit lost now.

I’m still trying to migrate from Smarththings, Nest closing API I could do without. Really want to just ditch nest for this, I will eventually.

1 Like

If you search this forum for hacs you’ll find a whole thread.

https://custom-components.github.io/hacs/installation/manual/ [dead link see edit]

For installing HACS

Now for installing in HACS, I haven’t figured it out yet. Someone mentioned in the settings, but I haven’t figured it out totally yet.

[Edit: https://github.com/hacs]

[Edit x2: I guess this post comes up in search queries. So for more info about installing have, go here: https://hacs.xyz/docs/installation/prerequisites]

Guys, just copy/paste the url mentioned above here (oh, right, you have to set also a category):

1 Like

Thanks for the picture! I had tried that but your right! I got a red box, didn’t bother to read and was going to look into it more when I had time. I was missing the category lol

Thanks. That link is dead for me but I’ve now found this:
https://hacs.netlify.com/installation/manual/

I’ll give it a try today

I’ve installed the latest HACS on the latest stable HASSIO release but when trying to add the badnest repo (https://github.com/USA-RedDragon/badnest) as an integration it gives the error: “Could not add ‘USA-RedDragon/badnest’ with type ‘integration’ at this time.”

Got it all installed but hit an error on HA reboot:

2019-10-06 17:56:38 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.loader] You are using a custom integration for hacs which has not been tested by Home Assistant. This component might cause stability problems, be sure to disable it if you do experience issues with Home Assistant.
2019-10-06 17:56:39 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.loader] You are using a custom integration for badnest which has not been tested by Home Assistant. This component might cause stability problems, be sure to disable it if you do experience issues with Home Assistant.
2019-10-06 17:56:43 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Error during setup of component badnest
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/setup.py", line 172, in _async_setup_component
    component.setup, hass, processed_config  # type: ignore
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 57, in run
    result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/config/custom_components/badnest/__init__.py", line 34, in setup
    password
  File "/config/custom_components/badnest/api.py", line 33, in __init__
    self._login(email, password)
  File "/config/custom_components/badnest/api.py", line 41, in _login
    self._user_id = r.json()['userid']
KeyError: 'userid'
2019-10-06 17:56:43 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Unable to prepare setup for platform badnest.climate: Unable to set up component.
2019-10-06 17:56:57 ERROR (MainThread) [hacs.repository.integration.danobot.entity-controller] Missing manifest file.
2019-10-06 17:56:57 ERROR (MainThread) [hacs] Validation for danobot/entity-controller failed.
2019-10-06 18:01:02 WARNING (zeroconf-ServiceBrowser__coap._udp.local.) [zeroconf] Exception occurred:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/zeroconf.py", line 2245, in send
    bytes_sent = s.sendto(packet, 0, (addr, port))
PermissionError: [Errno 1] Operation not permitted

He did say it was crappy…

He did :grin: I wonder if anyone managed to get this working?

I’m using a nest login, I have not enabled 2FA, only have one thermostat and nothing else. I can login to nest via web fine so I think I’ve covered the requirements.

Seems like some people can use the 2FA system with a google account other HA systems.

Found this on github… Can’t it be integrated into badnest…

Thanks for the link, looks interesting, Ive got a Gen 2, heat only UK stat with heatlink. Think i’m covered but the notes do say

“homebridge-nest supports all Nest Thermostat and Nest Protect models, except the UK model of the Thermostat E with Heat Link”

thank E came after gen 3.

You’re the man! Thanks very much

I just edited the badnest integration locally so it works with the google login.

Anyone interested?

1 Like

Submit a PR, I’d be happy to merge it in

1 Like

It seems like i can’t publish my branch to your repo.

I forked the original repo on github.

Here’s the version with the google auth login.
Please read the info.md for the steps to make it work.

Have fun!

1 Like