I made a crappy Nest Thermostat integration that will work as a stopgap until alternatives come out

Just put all your devices in HOOBS in the default room. No need to separate them.

HOOBS is only used to get your devices not to look at it anyway. You can divide your devices in HA rooms.

Btw there is a new version of the plugin (DO NOT INSTALL) but when installed it stops working in HA. So use the previous 4.4.6 NOT 4.4.9 version

Have you raised this as an issue on Chris’ Github? I may have suffered this issue, but not sure, so haven’t been able to track down a problem or not.

I know you guys might be talking about the thermostat but does anybody have smooth video in Homekit with the Nest Hello? Not just 1-3 second snapshots.

I had no idea how to install the older one so i installed the current 4.4.9 version and it works for me. The only thing which bothers me a bit is that i see two sensors (“boxes”) for my Protects in HOOBS but there is only a Smoke binary sensor in HA.

Great it worked. For me I couldn’t get it working.

It depends on the Protect you are using. If its a battery one than the presence detection will not be there. This is a Google API problem.

The mains-powered ones give Presence and Fire sensors. Also check the Entities Tab. It may be called differently. Look for an icon with a person in it.

Sure thing about the presence detection but there should be also CO status (which is probably the second box in HOOBS).
Also i would like to have the Ok/Attention/Warning states, not just a binary sensor. (still better than thousands of timeouts in HA logs though :rofl: )

I checked in HOOBS. One is the Presence Detection and the other is the Smoke detector.

They are both a binary sensor in HA called something like binary_sensor.hallway and binary_sensor.hallway_2. Ours give clear when the system is ok.

You may want to test it by doing a test alarm in the Nest App.

Where do you get an info about the sensor? I only see a box with name.
ershreashreahreahe

And have you noticed higher demand for resources? I just noticed a pretty significant increase in CPU usage (it’s a x86 system).

This is in HA and not in HOOBS.

No additional CPU usage may be caused by some other things.
Integrations you done etc.

Ok, now i’m a bit confused. What do you mean by:

?
You’ve said:

So should HOOBS show any info about these sensors? The screenshot is from my HOOBS dashboard.

Anyway, thanks for your help!

The significant additional usage from HOOBS stopped overnight. :slight_smile:

As mentioned by me a few times it doesn’t matter what’s in HOOBS as long as the devices show up. Yes the one on your pixies are the presence and alarm in HOOBS.

HOOBS is only used to get the information out of Google Nest nothing else all the other stuff is done in HA. Your sensors and your thermostat and all the automations you want to do with it.

I was able to automate our furnace humidity with the following… I hope it helps someone.

# SET HUMIDTY BASED ON OUTDOOR TEMP 
# humidifier is wired to nest

- alias: Set Humidity
  description: if temp @ value , humidity target = value
  trigger:
  - platform: time_pattern
    minutes: '/15'
  action:
    - choose:
      - conditions:
          - condition: numeric_state
            entity_id: weather.dark_sky
            attribute: temperature
            above: '40'
        sequence:
          - service: climate.set_humidity
            data:
              entity_id: climate.dining_room_thermostat
              humidity: 45
      - conditions:
            above: '30'
            below: '40'
        sequence:
            data:
              humidity: 40
      - conditions:
            above: '20'
            below: '30'
        sequence:
            data:
              humidity: 35
      - conditions:
            above: '10'
            below: '20'
        sequence:
            data:
              humidity: 30
      - conditions:
            above: '0'
            below: '10'
        sequence:
            data:
              humidity: 25
      - conditions:
            above: '-10'
            below: '0'
        sequence:
            data:
              humidity: 20
      - conditions:
            below: '-10'
        sequence:
            data:
              humidity: 15

@kalyway101 - thank you so much! this finally helped me getting my nest thermostat to work.

Thanks for the nugget on 4.4.9, might explain why I’m not detecting the thermostat in HA. How do I install an older version?

Hi all, is this thing still working? I just discovered it and would like to get my thermos added.

I followed the instructions, but putting issueToken into the filter box doesn’t show up any requests, removing it, I see a bunch of requests but none that match this from the instructions:

In the Headers tab, under General, copy the entire Request URL (beginning with https://accounts.google.com, ending with nest.com). This is your "issue_token" in configuration.yaml.

Seems like we now have the possibility to get a native integration again!!!
Google just posted about the promised replacement for Works with Nest, it’s called Google Nest Device Access Console, blog post is here: https://developers.googleblog.com/2020/09/google-nest-device-access-console.html?utm_source=important_info&utm_medium=email_service&utm_campaign=GS200133&utm_content=devdeviceaccessconsole

Anyone wanting developer access has to pay a one-time non-refundable $5. Wow, Google sucks ( Before creating your first project, you must register for Device Access. Registration consists of the acceptance of the Google API and Device Access Sandbox Terms of Service, along with a one-time, non-refundable fee (US$5) per account.

You will not be able to create a project until you have accepted both Terms of Service and paid the registration fee. This applies to all users, both individual users and those looking to create a commercial offering.)

5 Likes

I just got an email about it as well.

Yep had the same email just land 5 mins ago!! Hurrah!! I’m desperate for people detection to trigger as a sensor!

Happy to help with development work for anybody that wants to collaborate. I’ve never developed for HA but otherwise I’m fairly competent having worked as a developer for several years.

4 Likes

I am in the dark ages and still running the original RedDragon integration with my Nest account. I have Nest Protects and a Nest Thermostat. Am I safe to migrate to mattsch’s integration and a Google account?

1 Like