I need help troubleshooting google maps integration

I run a synology docker container and tried adding the google maps device tracker, i added it into my configuration.yaml file and extracted the cookie according to the setup documentation, i assume the cookie file goes in the same place as the configuration.yaml and the cookie is named accordingly, is the default .txt extension wrong? no matter what minor edits to the process i make, i still get the cookie does not exist/no read access error in the log below

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/device_tracker/legacy.py", line 303, in async_setup_legacy
    setup = await hass.async_add_executor_job(
            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.11/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 58, in run
    result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/google_maps/device_tracker.py", line 57, in setup_scanner
    scanner = GoogleMapsScanner(hass, config, see)
              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/google_maps/device_tracker.py", line 76, in __init__
    self.service = Service(credfile, self.username)
                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.11/site-packages/locationsharinglib/locationsharinglib.py", line 98, in __init__
    self._session = self._validate_cookie(cookies_file or '')
                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.11/site-packages/locationsharinglib/locationsharinglib.py", line 153, in _validate_cookie
    session = self._get_authenticated_session(cookies_file)
              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.11/site-packages/locationsharinglib/locationsharinglib.py", line 149, in _get_authenticated_session
    raise InvalidCookieFile(message) from None
locationsharinglib.locationsharinglibexceptions.InvalidCookieFile: Could not open cookies file, either file does not exist or no read access.

Yes

1 Like

You might also be interested in an updated version of the Google Maps integration I recently created. It addresses several shortcomings that I’ve experienced for years with the existing, built-in integration. You can find more info at:

Enhanced Google Maps Integration - Share your Projects! / Custom Integrations - Home Assistant Community (home-assistant.io)

2 Likes