I want to install HA on a Rpi Zero W. How do I do it? NOOB

Hi!

Is it still possible in 2022/2023? Read this blog:

This was written in 2018, almost 5 years ago. I realize what the Zero is but I live in a aparment and just what control some powerplugs and one dimmer. All are 433Mhz-based and soon a Sonos RF Bridge and a dimmer (433Mhz) will arrive in the mail I will flash with Tasmota. This is my first try with this type of tech and today I control my powerplugs with the remotes that was included. They are compatible with Tellstick and the dimmer is compatible with Nexa (also Tellstick?).

/Dave

Hi,
Wikipedia suggests the original RPi Pico W has only 512Mb of memory, which is way under the general recommendation of 2Mb of RAM (on a RPI 4). Basically, even if it runs, there is a good chance swapping to disk will flatten the uSD card quickly.

There are better options even if a RPi is not available to buy:

If this helps, :heart: this post!

So it can be done even tough the hardware isn’t optimal? Planning to use an external disk anyway if I decide to use a Rpi as I have read that the SD will eventuellt die anyway. Have no plan to buy more hardware just now. Just want to try it out.

I use the supervised installer method a few years ago

Learn that RPI Zero W (Version 1) can’t boot from external drive SSD/HDD so I need to use another way. Is there a way to boot via SD and configure HASSOS to make those “writings” that kill SD-cards to a external SSD/HDD that I connect via a OTG-adapter?

My motives here are to save a fellow maker from hours of anguish and pain, so I need to suggest again that the summary is basically:
Q: “Can I install HASS on a potato?”
A: “Technically YES, but it will take a huge wasted effort and the result will be horribly unusable”

Computer Science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes.
— E. W. Dijkstra

You’ll learn a lot more more by installing HASS on an old PC (even if you turn it off afterwards), and whilst enjoying the journey, you will find out about using the tool, rather than how the rock the metal was made from was mined!

Ask me how I know… :slight_smile:

Tasmota is a great project to run on Sonoff hardware, and once the ritual of taking over a device by attaching flashing leads is practised, making you own custom kit will become second nature (ESPhome is also very useful as a complement for Tasmota). Their Zigbee kit is also cheap, and as long as you avoid the ZBridge, should work well.