I want to start by using an ESP32 with a nextion display where can I read about a FUNCTIONAL overview?

Hi everybody,

My attention for Home Assistant got catched by this reddit-question which uses a certain cheap display

It seems to be difficult to get this display up and running. So I decided to use a Nextion display.
and OpenHASP

Well the ESP32 connected to the nextion display needs some kind of “Openhasp/home Assistant” firmware.

I assume this is not all. There must be another device running “home assistant” where the ESP32 with display connects to.
So far I have only read it openHASP is MQTT based.

From my description you can conclude I know almost nothing about

• Home Assistant
  • openHASP
  • MQTT

Where can I read a brief overview how home assistant works?
Don’t link me to the Getting Started - Home Assistant

This is a description of “getting started” step by step how to install how to configure
etc. what I am looking for is a description not how to install it but a description:

• what is the concept
  • what are the main components?

To make it more clear what Iam looking for
In the manual of a car you can read
“put ignition-key into right side of steering-wheel and turn clockwise” …
This is “how to use it” how to install home assistant.

What I am looking for is an analogon to this description about a car.

A car is a device for transportation of people and objects (main purpose)
the concept is (describing the main components and how they work together)

It has four wheels, mostly frontwheel driven, a combustion-engine as energysource for moving, 5 to 7 gears a throttle-pedal for adapting speed
One person is steering / driving the car with the steering-wheel, brake, clutch, throttle pedal
3 or 4 additional persons can take a seat for driving together with the driver
etc.

So where can I find an equivalent description about the main components of home assistant and how these components work together?

best regards Stefan

There is no simple description of Home Assistant. If you ask ten Home Assistant users how they are using Home Assistant, you will get eleven different answers.

This is about the best reply you will get here.

The question is, what do you want to do with the ESP and Nextion?

1 Like

Also you don’t need MQTT, HA or openHASP to use your Nextion display. It is supported in ESPHome so you could simply build some device with sensors attached and display them, or write an interface, attach some relays and control them. Or even scrape data via a HTTP request.

A sample use case for a standalone ESPHome Nextion would be for instance my pizza proofing cabinet.

If you just want a overview - check out this guy’s channel.

ESPHome link: ESPHome — ESPHome

There is a discord group… it is not very active but you can try there too

What is Home Assistant

Open source home automation that puts local control and privacy first. Powered by a worldwide community of tinkerers and DIY enthusiasts.

But this is probably more helpful Perfect Home Automation - Home Assistant

Although I don’t recommend youtube for detailed setup info, there are bound to be some vids there that show the concepts.