iCloud3 v2.1 Device Tracker - iCloud3 v2.2 has been released (10/10/2020)

Not sure if this is related, but updating to iOS 13.6 yesterday has seriously compromised my home zone stability. Device tracker status this morning:

@rs443 I recently experienced the same thing and think it was caused by iOS app updates had created new device tracker entities. When v2.1 searches the entity registry to determine the iOS app device to monitor, it stops searching when it finds the first one. Since the iOS app a added a new one and is updating that one, iCloud3 ends up monitoring a device tracker entity that is no longer updated. I have changed iCloud3 to search the entity registry, select the last one and generate an error message so you can either delete the one no longer used or put the entity suffix on the track device parameter.

Download the v2.2.0 from the iCloud3 GitHub repository here.
V2.2.0 docs are here

@Alamapstieks The location of the stationary zone is set to 1/2km north of the home zone. In V2.2.0 , it’s 1km but you can change the distance north-south and east-west our set it’sgos coordinates. What you are seeing might be caused by gps wandering into the stationary base zone.

@garyk The iOS app will have your and Shannon’s stationary zone in the same location when you are together and issue enter triggers for both zones. iCloud3 is suppose to filter out stationary zone triggers for another device and not set up a stationary zone for another regular zones position. The iOS app has the stationary zones gps location and I have never figured out when it updates the zone location. Also, if you have the phone in more than 1 zone, I i think it is suppose to have it in the closest smaller zone and if it’s the same or really close, who knows whichOne it will pick.

Check the gps on the phones and on HA zone and the home zone gps and see if they are the same. Also, look at the map and see if the zones overlap.

Sometimes gryphon is in my stationary zone, and sometimes it’s the other way around. GPS error is consistently 2500m.

IC3 filters out most of the zone jitter, but falls prey to an occasional Away or Stationary designation. I’m hoping this will fade away after a couple weeks like last time. Until then, it’s pretty much unusable for automation.

@gcobb321

Ok I was able to add the custom card using this post: How do I add custom cards with the Lovelace UI?.

title: icloud3 event log
type: entities
entities:
  - entity: sensor.icloud3_event_log
    type: 'custom:icloud3-event-log-card'
    icon: 'mdi:map-marker'
show_header_toggle: false

EDIT: I also had to add to link to the file using the Lovelace dashboard> resources found at this link: https://github.com/thomasloven/hass-config/wiki/Lovelace-Plugins

@CommittotheIndian I followed these steps but when I paste this into a blank card its not working.

@shmookles

Just to make sure we are on the same page. I am running within a docker on Synology. I placed icloud3-event-log-card.js within /local/www/custom_cards.

On HA>Configuration>Lovelace Dashboard>Resources (Advanced Mode has to be selected to see this)>Add button>URL is local/icloud3-event-log-card.js.

Then on my overview dashboard, I selected manual card and pasted that above code.

I did multiple things when it suddenly worked but when I started to eliminate changes this is what stuck. As soon tried to remove the card file from resources, my card on the dashboard went blank.

FYI - iCloud3 calculates the distance between two locations using the distance routines that are part of HA. I noticed yesterday that the latest version of the iOS app is sending Region Enter triggers from a point that iCloud3 calculates is still outside of the zone. ICloud3 reacts to the trigger and but keeps the device in an away state since it calculates the distance as greater than the zone’s radius.

For example, my Home zone has a radius of 70m but the calculated distance from the iOS app gps location was 76m. The iOS app said I was home but iCloud3 said I was still away.

The iOS app has been updated several times lately with new zone entry analysis routines and may be using a different distance calculation or sending the trigger when it gets close to the zone but not yet in it. Since iCloud3 processes a trigger only one time, this may be another reason of iOS app/iCloud3 zone differences.

An update to handle this will be in the next release candidate (#10). The Event Log also gets the ability to issue actions (iCloud3 service calls) that let you restart, pause polling, resume polling, relocate the devices, turn on detailed logging, etc.

More info on the iOS app new behavior for zones less than 100m can be found here

yes @CommittotheIndian. See screenshot. But when I add a manual card with what you suggested I still don’t get the log viewer. I am doing this entirely in the UI and have been having same issues as you.

@shmookles
I don’t know why the code I posted above is different than the one on my dashboard since it came from the same source but try this one.

entities:
  - entity: sensor.icloud3_event_log
    icon: 'mdi:map-marker'
show_header_toggle: false
title: icloud3 event log
type: entities

@gcobb321

Would this cause a delay in updating locations? I was out of state and just got home but stopped at a zone on the way. I didn’t check what time I entered or exited that zone but I am currently sitting in my home zone as I type this and iC3 has not updated to realize I’m home. It still shows me at the last zone. I even tried to send my location via the HA (hard press) app.

If this is an issue, it is currently unusable for automations.

@CommittotheIndian no change, getting same error as in screenshot. @gcobb321 any ideas?

@CommittotheIndian @shmookles

The only thing I can think of is to try putting the resources definition in the configuration.yaml file rather than adding it using the dashboard to see what happens. Mine has the following:

lovelace:
   mode: yaml
   resources:
     - url: /local/custom_cards/icloud3-event-log-card.js
       type: module

Take out the mode: yaml. I left it in so you could see exactly what mine looks like. Then use the UI to add the card to an existing view. My system is set up using Hassio, or whatever they are now calling it, and you mentioned yours is a manual setup using docker on Synology. I’m not familiar with those but could that be part of the problem. Do you have any other manual cards set up? You might want to set one up and see if that works. If it does, then go into edit mode, change the names and see if the Event Log card loads. If not, than the problem is something else on your system.

About the zone issue. Have you checked the iOS app Event Log to see if it sent Exit triggers and to see what Zone it has you in. Also check the HA >Development Tools >States to see the device_tracker states for the iOS app entity and track_devices entity.

Edit: I just saw a post on another forum about a guy having problems typing a space in developer tools trying to send a push message to his phone. The interesting quote is:

Which browser are you using and have you tried using another one?

Browser/platform compatibility may be an issue. For example, there are parts of the Lovelace UI that are completely unusable for me with Firefox on Android (notably the Template Editor and the Lovelace UI editor in text mode). I have used the Chromium based version of Edge (unofficially called “Edgium”) on Windows and have not encountered the problem you described. I’ll have to try it again and see if it’s a new problem.

Could your issues be browser related? Have you been clearing the browser cache and then hitting the reload at least 3 times to refresh the page?

@gcobb321

This morning I left my home zone and drove to my work zone. These 2 zones are about 30mins or 20 miles apart. HA (iC3 and iOS entities) showed me at home until I entered the work zone. Once I entered the work zone, both showed the work zone.

I can not see the event log card on my phone but checking the event log under discovery tools, there doesn’t appear to be any exit/entry triggers, but it’s much harder to read this info.

While checking this info I was away from the work zone (left about 10mins before I checked). It showed me not_home and work zone was the last zone. It also said it was triggered 50secs earlier. I will try to monitor throughout the day as I work away from the work zone but should enter it multiple times through the day.

It just seems to be delayed.

@CommittotheIndian
Zone enter/exit triggers are generated by the iOS app. If you don’t see them in the log, they may not be generated byThe iOS app or iCloud3 is not monitoring the device tracker entity The iOS app is updating. Look under Developer Tools >States to see iOS app entity Changes. Turn on all notifications in the iOS app so you get a notification when it issues triggers. App configuration >Notifications. Scroll down. Turn on Enter/Exit Zone notifications, significant update and Background Fetch.

Mine is in a manual card:

entity: sensor.icloud3_event_log
icon: 'mdi:information-outline'
title: iCloud Event Log

with icloud3-event-log-card.js under /config/www/custom_cards and the icloud3 directory under /config/custom_components.

I am doing a search under entities. Should I see a created one for sensor.icloud3_event_log ? As of now, nothing by this name even appears…

I have icloud3 event log (sensor.icloud3_event_log) listed in Entities.

that may be the issue. I am trying to load a manual car for an entity that doesn’t exist. @gcobb321 can you confirm I should see the entity before creating this card? I tried putting the Lovelace yaml config into conjuration.yaml as you had indicated and it still is not working. What might cause the entity not to appear?