iCloud3 v3 iDevice Tracker - Version 3

In the next version, v3 that I’m trying to wrap up now, iCloud3 checks and monitors the device online/offline status returned from iCloud. It does a much better job of pausing when offline for an extended period and then resuming when it comes back online.

2 Likes

Sounds great!
Thank you for your effort and support!
Much appreciated.

Ok I am essentially brain dead newbie. I am doing a no no by adding on this thread but I have done worse, I THINK I have Icloud3 tracker sort of installed( I am seeing the relative iphone information on lovelace under Sensors), how ever I don’t see or can’t find where it is is displayed the iCloud3 Event Log custom Lovelace card. I followed as best I could the installation instruction. A lot of the GUI information for installation no longer works for me i guess due to the updates to HA (I am running OS9.2 and core 2022.10.3). I could no longer find a way to check lovelace resources as "configuration: is no longer on the side bar (I have default_config and config in configuration.yaml)

My relative portion of configuration.yaml is

lovelace:
mode: yaml

device_tracker:

• platform: icloud3
    username: userid
    password:password
    event_log_card_directory: “/config/www/custom_cards/icloud3-event-log-card.js”
    config_ic3_file_name: “/config/config_ic3.yaml”

Any thoughts or suggestion would be appreciated

@captcurrent First, you’ll want to edit your post to remove your actual iCloud credentials and then change your iCloud password as who knows who has viewed your post already.

This is how mine is in configuration.yaml:

# iCloud3
device_tracker:
  - platform: icloud3
    username: [email protected]
    password: myicloudpassword

recorder:
  purge_keep_days: 3
  exclude:
    entities:
      - sensor.icloud3_event_log

My Event Log card was created by making a new dashboard ( Settings > Dashboards ) and then adding a new card using the Manual card type. The data for that is:

type: custom:icloud3-event-log-card

Save, Done, and the card appears.

@gcobb321 I deleted my Apple Watch post to you. If anyone else has had experience using an Apple Watch cellular to trigger presence (leaving your iPhone at home) I’d be interested in knowing how you accomplished it.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick response. Did the configuration.yaml change… restarted,

Made a new dashboard, selected edit dashboard. Tried adding the custom card

type: ‘custom:icloud3-event-log-card’

and get

custom element does not exist: icloud3-event-log-card

maybe i dead a path

@captcurrent where is your icloud3-event-log-card.js file located? Mine is in ~/config/custom_components/icloud3 which gets copied out to www\custom_cards

From the file:

//  in the 'custom_components\icloud3' directory  (or the current directory of
//  the icloud3 platform being run) is compared with the one in 'www/custom_cards'.
//  If they do not match, the one in the 'custom_components\icloud3' is copied
//  to the 'www\custom_cards' directory.

Can you confirm it’s in www/custom_cards directory? I remember doing battle with this when I installed the first time.

Re: Apple Watch - I was checking out my wife’s watch to see if the iOS App reports it’s location before I got back to you on that issue. It doesn’t. i’m running iCloud3 v3, soon to be released to beta, hopefully, as soon as I finish the docs.

The watch is a device in the Family Sharing List. In v3, it’s easy, you create an iC3 device and select the watch from the devices listed in the FamShr list. iC3 will then track it. Im tracking her watch now and it works pretty good.

cf-device-update-famshr-s50

v2.47 is a lot more complicated with the device names requirements between everything.

1 Like

just double checked. … there is a copy there. Glad to know it just isn’t me!

This will be brilliant. There are times when I’m just stepping out to a neighbor’s for an hour or so for a workout and I really don’t need to take the phone. My automation rules are all built on iPhone presence so that’s a kink in the works. If I can track the Watch as it leaves/enters the home zone… that’s the win.

You can get to the Resource entry screen via ‘Settings > Dashboards > 3-dots-in-the upper-right-corner > resources’

the URL is /local/icloud3/icloud3-event-log-card
type is JavaScript

Check the Resource statement to see if you have /local/ in it. HA translate that to the /www/ directory using the IP address of your HA server.

I’d forgotten all about that! @captcurrent it shows like this once you’ve added it:

ok I am a little confused if i put this on the resource (Thanks Gary for the assist).

the URL is /local/icloud3/icloud3-event-log-card.js
type is JavaScriptBlockquote

isn’t this referring to

/www/custom_cards/icloud3/icloud3-event-log-card.js

I have copies of the icloud3-event-log-card.js both in the /www/custom_cards and the /www/custom_cards/icloud3. folders and still get the same error about not being able to find

Yes, that would point as you indicated. You’d only need the .js file in the www/custom_cards/icloud3/ subdirectory (I, too, just started putting it everywhere until it worked during my first install lol)

well I guess lost minds think a like. It a go… double checked my resource which is

tried the add the custom card which resulted in thhis

a copy of icloud3-event-log-card.js ins in tope level of my config, www, custom_cards, and custom_cards/icloud3 direcrtory and still the same error. If I remove the single quotes i can add but with error the the custom element does not exist. Must have typo some where or something

Looking at the screenshot of the resource setup, you have
/local/icloud3/icloud3-event-card.js

In my setup it is:

/local/custom_cards/icloud3-event-log-card.js
which is how the installation instructions told me to do it…

https://gcobb321.github.io/icloud3/#/chapters/1.5-installing-icloud3?id=setting-up-the-lovelace-resource-for-the-event-log-using-the-ha-configurator

If your setup is different, you are still missing the log in the card name.

tried that …same error but thanks!! bit frustrating

@captcurrent Looking back at your config, you have a event-log_card_directory statement that contains the file name, not the directory name. Also, it is he default value and is not needed. I would remove that statement. And make sure the icloud3-event-log-file.js is in the www/custom_cards` diretory…

Thanks for the response. Did as you said: Removed the whole statement. I have verified that icloud3-event-log-file.js is the www/customs_cards directory. Restarted and no change. Got me beat

captcurrent You have 2 errors in your last message that could be just typos, but maybe not:
1.icloud3-event-log-file.js should be icloud3-event-log-card.js (‘card’ not ‘file’)
2. www/customs_cards should_be www/custom_cards (no ‘s’ on customs)

Ok, so I both me and my wife have FMI on and location shared. We also both belong to a family subscription (family share). I have configured the devices like this:

device_tracker:
  - platform: icloud3
    username: [email protected]
    password: xxxx
    devices:
      - device_name: "iPhone 1"
        name: xxxx
        email: [email protected]
        iosapp_installed: false
      - device_name: "iPhone 2"
        name: xxxx
        email: [email protected]
        iosapp_installed: false 

I have set the iosapp as false because wife does not have the HA companion app installed (I believe iosapp refers to that) and for me I could turn it on…

Anyway… my problem: since we both have Fmi on and share our location … why is icloud3 still chooses to use family share (FamShr) as device tracking method and not the FindMy method? What am I missing ? Everything is setup correctly on the iOS side (emails and everything).

Also, what are the downsides of using a very low pool time ? The default now is 2 hours when in a zone … and id like to have a battery monitor that’s reliable for example.

Thanks.