iCloud3 v3 iDevice Tracker - Version 3

What do you mean by this ? Don’t really understand it
The icloud3 integration is going to be much kinder to your battery life than owntracks

The stationary zone is dynamically created and moved when you are in the same place for a period of time. Default is 8 min. When the moved distance is almost 0 for at 8 min, iC3 gets the device’s gps coordinates and sets the stationary zone location to that spot. The iosapp picks up the new location most of the time.

When the device is in a real zone or moving or has moved a short distance, it is taken out of the stationary zone and is set to not_home (Away). The stationary zone is moved back to a ‘base location’ that is normally 1km north of the home zone to get it out of the way. It’s radius is also set to 1km so you do not enter it by mistake… It will show there on the map because the ‘passive’ value is set to False.

If it is not moved, your device, or another device could move into it and that tends to screw things up by putting one device in another device’s stationary zone.

Hope this clarifies it a bit.

I’m having a weird issue with icloud3 - whenever I open the iOS app, or visit homeassistant via the web externally my location is automatically set to my home zone, even though I am 15 km away. Within 5 mins or so, it resolves back to my current location.

Is this interference between the iOS app and icloud3? Is there any way to have the icloud3 location entity only update from fmf/famshr and not from the iOS app?

edit: tried iosapp_installed: false and it seems to be working. Not sure why the app thinks i’m home upon opening, but seems to be a hass.io issue and not an icloud3 one.

II guess I am using this for something it wasn’t intended/ Essentially I am at a location I want to save for future reference. Owntracks gives me that option

I now understand what is happening. Not sure how I am going to use that. It was just kind of strange to “find myself”. In a canal which is in as you say i km away. Now I know why

I still do not understand the real advantages of this compared to the ha App.

@StefanHabel See iCloud3 docs here for some of the differences between the HA iCloud integration and iCloud3. The next release adds even more reasons to give it a try.

Hey @gcobb321, thanks a lot for the work on this integration, it is working flawlessly for my own iPhone, questionably for my apple watch (I’ve definitely noticed a hit to battery life on the watch, and looking at the logs, it seems to be polling it every 15 seconds or so?..)

Anyway, I’ve noticed that the location of my partner’s iPhone and watch do not update from iCloud FamShr at all. Her devices have been classed as ‘Home’ ever since I set iC3 up, as far as the ‘Zone FName’ and ‘Zone Name’ entities go. The only entity that ever seems to update is the iOS app device tracker. Is this the expected behaviour? She’s linked to my account through Family Sharing so I was expecting to see iCloud FamShr updates in the event log for her iPhone as well as mine, but this doesn’t seem to be the case. Wondering if I may have set something up wrong.

@joeu1998 Did she just get a new phone? If so, iCloud3 is probably still tracking her old phone if it wasn’t removed from your family sharing list. In any case, restart iCloud3 (Event Log > Actions > R restart iCloud3) and check the device names in the Family Sharing list displayed in the Event Log (Stage 3 I think) to see if there are any duplicates or other errors.

I think they meant: compared to the HA Companion app (which also provides a location tracker for the device, as well as other sensors), not the stock iCloud integration.

New phone but she got it before I set iC3 up, and she only has one iPhone listed in Find My linked to her Apple ID (removed the old iPhones). The list in the event log is definitely showing the correct device during initial iC3 load (with checkmarks for the devices I’ve added into the iC3 config).

We didn’t go out today so can’t check if a restart has had any impact, I will monitor it over the weekend and see if anything changes. Could it be due to a conflict in sharing methods? We used to have ‘Find my Friend’ set up (back before it got converted to ‘Find My’) and this was how we did location sharing before I set up the proper ‘iCloud Family Sharing’ with joint subscriptions etc.

Could it be that we never disabled the original Find my Friend, and somehow we have both working in parallel, which is consequently confusing iC3? If so, any idea how to change things on Apple’s side? :upside_down_face:

Edit: For what it’s worth, in the Find My app, I see ‘[Name]’ under ‘People’ and '[Name]‘s iPhone’ under ‘Devices’. Does this indicate that I, in fact, have FmF and FamShr operating simultaneously for her? she sees the same for me in her Find My app (I’m listed under both ‘People’ and ‘Devices’, so maybe this is unrelated, as mine seems to work fine).

@joeu1998

1. There would be no conflicts between famshr and fmf. If everyone is available using famshr, ic3 will not request fmf locations since the location time/gps sends to be slightly older than famshr.
  2. The device_tracker entity attributes show location timings. Do they ever change?
  3. Any errors in the ha logs?
  4. Change the name on her phone and in the config to see if it then starts tracking.
  5. There are some tracking monitors that show more details. Event Log > Actions > Show/Hide. Tracking Monitors.
  6. Also available is detail Debug logs (log_level: debug), and you can dump the raw data received by iCloud to see if iCloud is providing updates (log_level: debug+raw data). Debug can also be turned on in Event Log > Actions

Hello
I want to test iCloud3 to automatically open my gate when approaching the house and I have a few questions:

• Is it possible to use the device_tracker.tesla_location_tracker to track the car (Tesla) and not the iPhone?
  • If this is not possible, by following the iPhone, is it possible to differentiate (by speed) traveling by car from traveling on foot (the gate should not open when I am walking the dog)?
  • To prevent the gate from opening when I leave the house, should I create two zones and test the passage from zone 1 to zone 2 (arrival at the house) to open and do nothing during a passage from zone 2 to zone 1 (departure from the house)?

When I restart Home Assistant, I have a message on the iphone asking for authorization to connect and then a 6-digit code to enter in the device making the request (Home Assistant) but I don’t see where to enter this code in Home assistant?

See iCloud3 docs here for code entry.

I’ll answer the questions you had later later.

Thank you for the code entry procedure.
I can’t insert the event log. I tried both methods “using the raw config editor” and with “custom:icloud3-event-log-card in the Type field” I get this message:

I have in the icloud3 folder the files icloud3-event-log-card.js and icloud3-event-log-card.js.gz

@Stives25 The icloud3-event-log-card.js file need to be in the www/custom_cards/ directory, which correspond to /local/custom_cards in the Lovelace resource setup.

@gcobb321
he is in this folder

@ Stives25

1. Probably not. But It may be but I’ve never tried it. It would involve creating an ic3 device_name, not having that device_name use Family Sharing or fmf tracking methods, and making the tweaks device imitate an iOS app device.
  2. At home, I open the garage door when I get home after driving. I created an input Boolean that it’s set when I’m2 mi from home and reset when I get home. The door only opens if the flag is set. So if I leave home for a walk, it doesn’t get set and doesn’t open. The iOS app has a speed sensor that might be set to trigger the flash instead of using a distance but I have not tried it.
  3. You could put the gate in its own zone and set a trigger to open it when you enter that zone. A lot depends on your gps accuracy and if you have good cell phone coverage. If you don’t, the iOS app can miss zone enters and wouldn’t issue a trigger. The iOS app also works on 100m zone sizes regardless what the actual size is. So if both the house and gate are close together and overlap, it might be an issue. One option you can try to get around this might be having a home zone with a radius of 75m and a gate zone with a radius of 200m that is centered on the home zone. Then it might see the gate zone first and then the home with out an exit. iCloud3 sets the next location time to 4-minutes on a zone exit which might mess up going from one zone to another real quickly.

@Stives25
If icloud3-event-log-card.js is in the custom_cards directory, the only thing I can think of is to check the Lovelace resource again. And do a copy/paste of the directory and names again. 98% of the time, there is a miss match between the two entries.

Copy the resource and the card setup, or take a screen shot, and post it so I can see exactly what you are working with.