Icon Prefix Meanings: Hass vs mdi?

What is the difference between the icon Prefix “hass” and “mdi”?

I understand that mdi = material design icons and hass = Home Assistant. But there is overlap between the two icon sets. What is the benefit of having them both or using hass prefix over mdi?

The only benefit is the non-overlapping set. You get more available icons to use.
The prefix literally just tells HA where to look to find the icon name that follows.

Assume that there are two sources for icons and these prefixes let you define which source to use. If i am not mistaken, there are different icon sets out there using different prefixes.

Is there a list of the hass icons?

hass-icons.txt · GitHub
Not as helpful though as it’s just a list without being able to see the actual icon

1 Like

Maybe with the most recent update occluding the icon picker we can finally see the Hass vs mdi difference?

My initial understanding was that HASS icons were built-in and MDI icons were online. HASS was preferred but MDI was possible when the icon had not yet been imported into HASS. However, this appears not to be correct as the new icon picker now recommends MDI icons, and assuming they are keeping everything local, then the icons would need to be local regardless of the HASS or MDI prefix.

Can anyone state why today both still exist and which one we should use? I can’t seem to find a straight answer.

I still haven’t found any good info on this. :frowning:

1 Like